You are not logged in.
Prerequisites
- TDE
- XFCE4 (configured and customised)
How to reproduce?
- login into TDE in TDM
- log out from TDE and choose "XFCE4 Session" in TDM
- A complete new empty uncustomised desktop environment shows up..
- log out from XFCE, choose Shutdown in TDM
- start machine, log in directly without changing environment
- customised XFCE session is back
That's.. weird?
Also, when using multiple desktop environments, I need to configure chrome completely from scratch in both.. that's painful 
Coding & Robotics Enthusiast | Windows 7 x86 @ n2600 · 2GB · 320GB HDD (No graphics acceleration available in linux)
Offline
How did you install XFCE desktop alongside TDE ?
Offline
sudo apt install xfce4-desktop xfce4-whiskermenu...Coding & Robotics Enthusiast | Windows 7 x86 @ n2600 · 2GB · 320GB HDD (No graphics acceleration available in linux)
Offline
Well, this is possible, but not the recommended way. We provide Q4OS tools on top of Debian in order to get a better Q4OS experience, use them where it's possible.
So we recommend you to run Desktop profiler > untick "remove superfluous packages" box > select XFCE as an additional desktop > apply profile > reboot. Now you should experience "lightdm" display manager. Login and check, if you experience the issue or not.
We also recommend to get snapshot profile after setup for a future possible Q4OS installations, see https://www.q4os.org/dqa016.html#boome
Last edited by q4osteam (2026-01-06 16:43)
Offline
Oh no, that would require me to configure XFCE from scratch? I did install lightdm later and made it the default using dpkg-reconfigure lightdm, logging into XFCE with lightdm, startup apps stopped autostarting.. and I don't know what else.. so I again made tdm the default dm.
The working session type in TDM is "Default Xsession", and "XFCE Session" has that some-stuff-gone-issue.
Can I still use the Desktop Profiler and manually set TDM as default?
Coding & Robotics Enthusiast | Windows 7 x86 @ n2600 · 2GB · 320GB HDD (No graphics acceleration available in linux)
Offline
You can use TDM, but it will launch some Trinity stuff what you don't want to launch. So you likely need to use Lightdm.
Offline
i'm using klipper-trinity with xfce anyways so yeah I don't mind. diodon and clipman both are irritating to use when you have infinite history on, as you have to scrolling infinitely, whereas in klipper it peacefully makes a submenu when there's too many items.
It's the same reason I'm using nm-tray instead of nm-applet
Also, brightness control with xfce power manager doesn't work for some reason.. i can move the slider all I want but it doesn't do anything. Currently using Xakar to control brightness just like I used to do in TDE
Coding & Robotics Enthusiast | Windows 7 x86 @ n2600 · 2GB · 320GB HDD (No graphics acceleration available in linux)
Offline
Well, we assume using TDM. If you have installed XFCE without desktop profiler it's correct too. So back to the original issue. Is it reproducible on your machine ? Does it occur always or intermittently ?
Offline
Well seems like install xfce4-desktop has set the "Default Xsession" to xfce, so If I log into Default Xsession then I get my normal xfce session, if I log into TDE Session, I get my normal tde session. And if I log into XFCE session, I get a new yet another xfce session
I mean if I explicitly choose xfce session instead of default Xsession then yup it's a complete new environment. It's not that big of a deal but I think default Xsession should point to tde/xfce session instead of having a complete new session in itself..
Coding & Robotics Enthusiast | Windows 7 x86 @ n2600 · 2GB · 320GB HDD (No graphics acceleration available in linux)
Offline