You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-19 12:28

yigit

update manager

hi.. I have been using q4os for several days and liked it, really. it is fast, response quickly looks and feels solid.

i have seen update manager on software center and installed it but could not find where it is.

and I would like to learn how to edit sources.list file, kedit did not work...

and if I am not wrong q4os is based on debian stable, if I add debian testing sources, would it break the OS?

thank you very much

#2 2016-10-19 12:58

bin

Re: update manager

Hi and welcome to the Q4OS forum.

To answer your questions backwards - adding testing repos is a bad idea as testing is a development branch for the upcoming release of Debian. It can therefore introduce elements that will clash with your current system.

If you are looking for later versions of software then backports is the way to go - these are enabled in Q4OS, you just need to use the correct commands to install the software as it does not appear in Synaptic https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Whilst there's nothing wrong with manually editing sources.list I'd suggest you start off using Synaptic>Settings>Repositories to see how it all goes together. Then read up on Debian repositories and it will start to make sense.

Sorry but I don't use the Update Manager.

#3 2016-10-19 13:54

yigit

thank you for your reply

I will try adding testing repo and see what will happen, just curious smile) If my system to be broken , I will reinstall , at least It will take a little time ...

I have seen update manager on software list and installed - but it should be somewhere , i could not see

thank you and have a nice day

#4 2016-10-19 16:15

bin

Yup - that's the best bit about linux, if you break it you get to keeps all the bits smile wink

#5 2016-10-19 16:56

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You can safely follow bin's instructions above, in addition we put some more info.

yigit wrote:

I have seen update manager on software list and installed - but it should be somewhere , i could not see

Update manager is running on the background and is checking for available system updates periodically. As an update is available, it will place an icon in the system tray to notify user about available security and software updates and let him to upgrade system on request, please see http://www.q4os.org/dqa007.html#updates.1

yigit wrote:

I will try adding testing repo and see what will happen

We don't recommend that in any case, better way is just to use development Q4OS Scorpion version, you can download here http://www.q4os.org/downloads2.html

yigit wrote:

... I would like to learn how to edit sources.list file, kedit did not work ...

You need to edit with root permissions. Navigate desired file from filemanager -> right mouse click on the file -> Actions -> Edit as root

Board footer