You are not logged in.

#1 2026-10-05 16:24

green-moomin
Member
Registered: 2026-08-05
Posts: 18

Automatically rename duplicate files

Hello, is there a way to automatically rename duplicate files/directories when I move them?  I'm aware of the "rename command" but I'm looking for a GUI method.  When I move several files to a different directory, I have to "suggest new name" for each instance of a duplicated file, then click "rename."  Is there an "auto rename"-type option, similar to "auto skip" and "overwrite all"? 

mini_duplicate.png

For example, Windows auto renames "my-report.pdf" to "my-report (1).pdf" so something like this would be helpful.

Offline

#2 2026-10-06 06:37

Taige
Banned
Registered: 2025-08-19
Posts: 105

Re: Automatically rename duplicate files

green-moomin wrote:

Hello, is there a way to automatically rename duplicate files/directories when I move them?  I'm aware of the "rename command" but I'm looking for a GUI method.  When I move several files to a different directory, I have to "suggest new name" for each instance of a duplicated file, then click "rename."  Is there an "auto rename"-type option, similar to "auto skip" and "overwrite all"? 

mini_duplicate.png

For example, Windows auto renames "my-report.pdf" to "my-report (1).pdf" so something like this would be helpful.

Thunar, the default file manager for Mint XFCE, if I remember correctly does just what you need, install it and give it a try.

Offline

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modified by Visman