You are not logged in.
Hi I am new to Q4OS but have been using Linux systems since XP was retired.
Setting up LAN networks can always have issues but Q4OS has me pulling my hair out.
Other Linux computers on the LAN can see the Q4OS shares but the Q4OS can not see other Linux or the NAS servers on my LAN.
Have looked for answers and modified the samba.conf file to include smb1 but still stuck.
Any help would be useful......... Thanks
Offline
Welcome to the forum 
- What desktop are you using, Plasma, Trinity, other?
- What desktop profile did you apply upon Q4OS setup?
Offline
Welcome to the forum
- What desktop are you using, Plasma, Trinity, other?
- What desktop profile did you apply upon Q4OS setup?
Desktop is Trinity. profile is KDesktop.
Also changed the WORKGROUP in samber conf file to my local workgroup name.
Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by Tramway2026 (2026-09-18 17:39)
Offline
Thanks. On Trinity the network browser (smb:/) finds other machines only through the old NetBIOS browse list, and that exists only over SMB1. Current Samba, including Q4OS 6, and practically every NAS have SMB1 switched off, so the list stays empty even though the shares themselves work fine. The other computers see your shares because they connect to them directly, not by browsing.
So open the machine by its address instead. Type this into Konqueror's location bar, with the IP or hostname of the NAS or the other PC:
smb://192.168.1.20/It lists that machine's shares. To keep it, bookmark it, or add it permanently via Go > Network Folders > Add a Network Folder > Microsoft Windows network drive.
Offline
Hi I tried Plasma and found much better network support so shall use Plasma.
Thanks for your help.
Offline
That's the way to go! 
Offline
Thanks. On Trinity the network browser (smb:/) finds other machines only through the old NetBIOS browse list, and that exists only over SMB1. Current Samba, including Q4OS 6, and practically every NAS have SMB1 switched off, so the list stays empty even though the shares themselves work fine. The other computers see your shares because they connect to them directly, not by browsing.
So open the machine by its address instead. Type this into Konqueror's location bar, with the IP or hostname of the NAS or the other PC:
smb://192.168.1.20/It lists that machine's shares. To keep it, bookmark it, or add it permanently via Go > Network Folders > Add a Network Folder > Microsoft Windows network drive.
I had also encountered this problem. In fact, it is possible to get a list of network machines under Trinity, but it requires some modifications to the tdeio-smb sources. I did this quickly, and it seemed to work. After that, I didn't bother to create a package, but if you think it could be useful, I can definitely create a proper .deb package.
Attached is a tar.gz archive with the sources, the tdeio_smb.so library, and a small install script. Since Trinity automatically prioritizes the ~/.trinity/lib/trinity/ directory over /opt/trinity/lib/trinity/, it’s very easy to test quickly without even needing root permissions. To revert to the legacy tdeio_smb, simply run the other script, ./uninstall.sh (no need to restart or log out).
**Note: Tested on TDE R14.1.1. I haven’t tested it on newer versions of TDE, but I don’t think it should be an issue.
Debian & Q4OS (TDE!!), low-level C, ASM (z80/68k/x86/ARM64), embedded systems, CPU architectures (RISC-V, binary formats, assembly), retro-computing, metal music, guitar and sci-fi.
Offline
q4osteam wrote:Thanks. On Trinity the network browser (smb:/) finds other machines only through the old NetBIOS browse list, and that exists only over SMB1. Current Samba, including Q4OS 6, and practically every NAS have SMB1 switched off, so the list stays empty even though the shares themselves work fine. The other computers see your shares because they connect to them directly, not by browsing.
So open the machine by its address instead. Type this into Konqueror's location bar, with the IP or hostname of the NAS or the other PC:
smb://192.168.1.20/It lists that machine's shares. To keep it, bookmark it, or add it permanently via Go > Network Folders > Add a Network Folder > Microsoft Windows network drive.
I had also encountered this problem. In fact, it is possible to get a list of network machines under Trinity, but it requires some modifications to the tdeio-smb sources. I did this quickly, and it seemed to work. After that, I didn't bother to create a package, but if you think it could be useful, I can definitely create a proper .deb package.
Attached is a tar.gz archive with the sources, the tdeio_smb.so library, and a small install script. Since Trinity automatically prioritizes the ~/.trinity/lib/trinity/ directory over /opt/trinity/lib/trinity/, it’s very easy to test quickly without even needing root permissions. To revert to the legacy tdeio_smb, simply run the other script, ./uninstall.sh (no need to restart or log out).
**Note: Tested on TDE R14.1.1. I haven’t tested it on newer versions of TDE, but I don’t think it should be an issue.
I think that this modification would be very useful to do it directly on the affected files that are in the iso so that the problem does not recur.
Well done, anyway!
Last edited by Taige (2026-09-22 06:35)
Offline
Back in the day I used to use smb4k to browse shares on a windows network.
Offline
I refined a bit the code so it can display network printers the right way, created a proper github repository, and a release with a real .deb package, if you want to try it:
Debian & Q4OS (TDE!!), low-level C, ASM (z80/68k/x86/ARM64), embedded systems, CPU architectures (RISC-V, binary formats, assembly), retro-computing, metal music, guitar and sci-fi.
Offline
I will try this out and let you know how I get on. Had to return to Trinity as it seems this old laptop can not handle the extra load. Particularly the graphics ATI Radeon this laptop came with windows Vista.
I refined a bit the code so it can display network printers the right way, created a proper github repository, and a release with a real .deb package, if you want to try it:
Offline
If you would perform a thorough QA testing, we could integrate this patch to the Q4OS ecosystem.
Offline
I will try this out and let you know how I get on. Had to return to Trinity as it seems this old laptop can not handle the extra load. Particularly the graphics ATI Radeon this laptop came with windows Vista.
seb3773 wrote:I refined a bit the code so it can display network printers the right way, created a proper github repository, and a release with a real .deb package, if you want to try it:
I think with Trinity things will be decided better on that laptop. 
Offline
The deb file works very well as I can now see all network drives and both Linux and Windows computers.
Thank you.
The next issue to be resolved is making it easy to set up shares in Trinity.
Offline
If you would perform a thorough QA testing, we could integrate this patch to the Q4OS ecosystem.
will try do it yes, if it can help. I'm thinking of different ways to test the plugin, docker to simulate a large number of shares and some malformed ones, some stress tests scripts, testing memory leaks with Asan etc... Need to set it up first 
Added later 12 min 42 s:
The next issue to be resolved is making it easy to set up shares in Trinity.
this is possible ;-)
Debian & Q4OS (TDE!!), low-level C, ASM (z80/68k/x86/ARM64), embedded systems, CPU architectures (RISC-V, binary formats, assembly), retro-computing, metal music, guitar and sci-fi.
Offline
You can try this tool : https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6296

Debian & Q4OS (TDE!!), low-level C, ASM (z80/68k/x86/ARM64), embedded systems, CPU architectures (RISC-V, binary formats, assembly), retro-computing, metal music, guitar and sci-fi.
Offline