You are not logged in.

#1 2026-08-30 04:11

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Q4OS Freezes Randomly

Hello, so I have been using Andromeda Q4Os for about 2-3 weeks now and have noticed that since then, every so often, my computer will freeze and will not react to input, which forces me to shut off my laptop from the power button. This has been really annoying because sometimes I am doing important work and I become worried it will freeze and I will lose my progress. I am using a Dell Latitude e6420 so i checked which OSes it's compatible with on the dell website, and the only linux listed is Ubuntu 10.10, so that might be contributing to it, but I'm not too sure. I previously had windows 10 on this laptop and I cannot recall ever experiencing my laptop freezing like this before installing Q4OS. I know this problem would hard to recreate, but anybody has an idea of what could be causing it (and if there's a solution) i would really appreciate it. Thank you

This is my first time posting and i have seen other posts give specs so just in case here:

System Info:
Desktop: Trinity R14.1.5
Distro: Q4OS 6.8-deb13u1 (Andromeda)
Kernel: 6.12.101+deb13-amd64

Hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Host: Dell Latitude E6420
Graphics: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
RAM Total: 8GB's
Storage Total: 119GB's
Bus: 64-bit

Offline

#2 2026-08-30 06:59

bin
Member
From: U.K.
Registered: 2016-01-28
Posts: 1,608

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

Hello and welcome to the forum.
There are a number of reasons for this sort of occurence.
First of all we do need to know a bit more about your machine.
Please open Konsole and run

inxi -F

Copy and paste the results back here. When you do so please highlight all the text and then click the Code Block icon in the tool bar above (next to the Quote mark button)

Offline

#3 2026-08-30 08:12

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

Here is the results:

System:
  Host: DellLatitudeE6420 Kernel: 6.12.101+deb13-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: TDE (Trinity) v: R14.1.5 Distro: Q4OS 6.8-deb13u1
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude E6420 v: 01
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Dell model: 0P6K8J v: A00 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell
    v: A25 date: 03/06/2018
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 4.6 Wh (10.3%) condition: 44.5/48.8 Wh (91.1%)
    volts: 10.4 min: 11.1
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-2520M bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache:
    L2: 512 KiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 798 min/max: 800/3200 cores: 1: 798 2: 798 3: 798 4: 798
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
    driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Sunplus Innovation Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_FHD driver: uvcvideo
    type: USB
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.16 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: crocus,swrast
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.5 compat-v: 3.3 vendor: intel mesa v: 25.0.7-2+deb13u1
    renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2)
  API: Vulkan v: 1.4.309 drivers: llvmpipe surfaces: xcb,xlib
  Info: Tools: api: clinfo, eglinfo, glxinfo, vulkaninfo x11: xdriinfo,
    xdpyinfo, xprop, xrandr
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio
    driver: snd_hda_intel
  API: ALSA v: k6.12.101+deb13-amd64 status: kernel-api
  Server-1: aRts v: 1.5.10 status: active
  Server-2: PipeWire v: 1.4.2 status: active
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network driver: e1000e
  IF: eno1 state: down mac: d4:be:d9:30:bb:0c
  Device-2: Broadcom BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: bcma-pci-bridge
  IF-ID-1: wlp2s0b1 state: up mac: e0:06:e6:02:25:98
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 119.24 GiB used: 13.96 GiB (11.7%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: MZ7TY128HDHP-000H1 size: 119.24 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 108.15 GiB used: 13.96 GiB (12.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8.8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0 C mobo: 31.0 C sodimm: 41.0 C
  Fan Speeds (rpm): cpu: 2872
Info:
  Memory: total: 8 GiB available: 7.65 GiB used: 3.7 GiB (48.3%)
  Processes: 233 Uptime: 4h 26m Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.38

Offline

#4 2026-08-30 09:14

hchiper
Member
From: Belgium
Registered: 2020-07-28
Posts: 837

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

As @bin wrote, "There are a number of reasons for this sort of occurence." I think of some of them.

Did you notice if your laptop always freezes in the same circumstances (running a specific software, running a lot of software simultaneously, ...)? Run `htop` in a terminal to watch processor and memory usage; do they reach 100% before the freeze?

Did you install software using other means than Q4OS Software Centre or the `sudo apt install <package>` command? For example did you install a software from a downloaded package or following instructions from a website? Such a software might be conflicting with the OS and cause the freeze.

Did you use the `sudo` command? It provides the user with full rights on the system, including the right to corrupt it if it is not used carefully.


Q4OS machine: Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD

Offline

#5 2026-08-30 17:13

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

I have downloaded Vivaldi (web browser) using a package, but i have noticed it also freezes when I'm running apps that were downloaded from the software center. I switched to Firefox to see if it would help but I still experienced freezing. Also, the most recent freeze happened while i was editing something on Kate. I don't remember 100% but i remember that I think I only had Firefox, some Konqueror folders open, and maybe VLC in the background. Sometimes it doesn't take a lot of software to cause it to freeze. When I ran windows on my laptop, i would multitask with even more programs and did not experience freezing, which is kinda interesting.

Offline

#6 2026-08-30 20:50

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 6,424
Website

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

@ChillKid

Welcome to the forum smile

We would suspect the Intel graphics stack first, especially the HD 3000. After the next freeze and reboot, please run:
$ journalctl -b -1 -p err
and
$ journalctl -b -1 | grep -Ei 'i915|gpu|hang|freeze|oom'
and post the output here. This may show what happened immediately before the freeze.

Offline

#7 2026-08-30 21:51

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

Ok

Offline

#8 2026-09-09 08:06

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

When I ran both of those lines of code, i got this message

Specifying boot ID or boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal was found.

Offline

#9 2026-09-09 08:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 6,424
Website

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

The journal isn't persistent, so the previous boot logs are gone.
Please enable it with:
$ sudo mkdir -p /var/log/journal
$ sudo systemd-tmpfiles --create --prefix /var/log/journal
$ sudo systemctl restart systemd-journald

After the next freeze and reboot, run:
$ journalctl -b -1 -p err
$ journalctl -b -1 | grep -Ei 'i915|gpu|hang|freeze|oom'

and post the output.

Offline

#10 2026-09-17 06:25

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

It happened to freeze and the results from $ journalctl -b -1 -p err were:

Sep 16 10:23:18 DellLatitudeE6420 systemd-udevd[375]: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-alsa-restore.rules:18 GOTO="alsa_restore_std" has no matching label, ignoring.
Sep 16 10:23:18 DellLatitudeE6420 systemd-udevd[375]: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-alsa-restore.rules:22 GOTO="alsa_restore_std" has no matching label, ignoring.
Sep 16 10:37:48 DellLatitudeE6420 kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): unable to read boot sector to mark fs as dirty
Sep 16 20:20:23 DellLatitudeE6420 (udev-worker)[3432]: event3: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xc01c9, and key code 410: Invalid argument
Sep 16 20:20:23 DellLatitudeE6420 (udev-worker)[3432]: event3: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xc01ca, and key code 103: Invalid argument
Sep 16 20:20:23 DellLatitudeE6420 (udev-worker)[3432]: event3: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xc01cb, and key code 108: Invalid argument

Last edited by ChillKid (2026-09-17 06:26)

Offline

#11 2026-09-17 06:39

Taige
Banned
Registered: 2025-08-19
Posts: 105

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

ChillKid wrote:

Hello, so I have been using Andromeda Q4Os for about 2-3 weeks now and have noticed that since then, every so often, my computer will freeze and will not react to input, which forces me to shut off my laptop from the power button. This has been really annoying because sometimes I am doing important work and I become worried it will freeze and I will lose my progress. I am using a Dell Latitude e6420 so i checked which OSes it's compatible with on the dell website, and the only linux listed is Ubuntu 10.10, so that might be contributing to it, but I'm not too sure. I previously had windows 10 on this laptop and I cannot recall ever experiencing my laptop freezing like this before installing Q4OS. I know this problem would hard to recreate, but anybody has an idea of what could be causing it (and if there's a solution) i would really appreciate it. Thank you

This is my first time posting and i have seen other posts give specs so just in case here:

System Info:
Desktop: Trinity R14.1.5
Distro: Q4OS 6.8-deb13u1 (Andromeda)
Kernel: 6.12.101+deb13-amd64

Hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Host: Dell Latitude E6420
Graphics: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
RAM Total: 8GB's
Storage Total: 119GB's
Bus: 64-bit

Have you done a test by installing the Trinity 32bit version?

Offline

#12 2026-09-17 06:54

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

Have you done a test by installing the Trinity 32bit version?

No but I probably could try that out. However I don't know if i need a 32 bit version as I have had 64 bit OSes on my laptop in the past without the freezing issue...

Offline

#13 2026-09-17 09:03

Taige
Banned
Registered: 2025-08-19
Posts: 105

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

ChillKid wrote:

Have you done a test by installing the Trinity 32bit version?

No but I probably could try that out. However I don't know if i need a 32 bit version as I have had 64 bit OSes on my laptop in the past without the freezing issue...

When you talk about the laptop, are you referring to the same one you use now?

Offline

#14 2026-09-19 04:42

ChillKid
Member
Registered: 2026-08-16
Posts: 14

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

Yes the one that is running Q4OS

Offline

#15 2026-09-19 16:30

Taige
Banned
Registered: 2025-08-19
Posts: 105

Re: Q4OS Freezes Randomly

ChillKid wrote:

Yes the one that is running Q4OS

Even though it is a processor with 64bit architecture, it has only 2 cores and this could be the cause of the freezes.
If the other 64bit operating systems didn't cause you problems then you just have to give it a try with Q4os 32bit.

Or you could give it another try by putting a sata ssd, that way it would be more responsive.

Offline

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modified by Visman