You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
I am getting an "applying a profile within the live systems isn't supported" message stopping installation. Any ideas would be welcome.
Offline
Are you running live media ? If so, applying desktop profile is not supported as it requires reboot, moreover it doesn't make much sense.
Offline
What is live media? I am booting from a drive from my boot menu and nothing is running except your installer.
Offline
I've sent a picture to your technical support of the message, I hope everything is well. Disconnecting installation.
Offline
Do you see "Install Q4OS" icon on the desktop ?
Offline
Installation went fine, booted well, connected to internet and ended up with the error message quoted at the Desktop Profiler. Consulted your "help" life preserver symbol, it was loaded if not useful, clicked anything that could be clicked. It's loaded, I don't know what else to tell you.
Downloaded today. Balena Etcher did not have an "Install Q4OS" icon however, only the boot and EID files, one containing a grub if I remember correctly which certainly "livened" things up. Booting from F2 maybe made the installation "live"? I guess there's no fix for that.
Offline
Well, your installation seems to be somewhat non-standard, so we need some info. Please describe how did you install Q4OS.
- What installation file did you download and the download site ?
- How did you install Q4OS on your computer ?
- Run commands in terminal and post the output:
$ get-q4os-version
$ cat /etc/fstab
Offline
q4os 5.6 x64r1... balenaEtcher - 1.19.21.Setup
From Downloads lol, Windows is back in charge.
Offline
Resolved, Rufus installation supplied or updated two files that my system lacked. Thanks for your communication, much appreciated.
Offline
I'm having the same problem. I tried doing an update and upgrade. I installed from a USB stick to the hard drive, but it still thinks it's running a live system. The person who fixed it with Rufus said it installed two files, but gave no details on how to do it. Is this repairable? What can I do to resolve this?
Offline
@ Bob2008 , Welcome to the forum 
First check if you don't boot from live usb by accident. If not, try to burn the live usb once again using Q4OS imager, see https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4444 , install and post back the result.
Offline
Here is the solution. No files added at all. run this command...
ls -l /etc/q4oslivemedia
If the file is there, and it was in my case...
sudo rm /etc/q4oslivemedia
PROBLEM SOLVED.
Offline
@Bob2008
Thanks for the feedback.
- What .iso did you install from?
- What desktop profile did you select upon the install process?
Also please run command in terminal and post back the output:
$ dpkg -l calamares live-boot
Last edited by q4osteam (Yesterday 16:43)
Offline
-- Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
|+- Status=Inst/Not-inst/Confs/Unpack/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||+ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
│││ Name Version Architecture Description
├┼┼─═══════════─════════════─══════════════─══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
un calamares <none> <none> (no description available)
rc live-boot 1:20250815 all Live System Boot Components
Offline
Thanks for the output. `live-boot` in state `rc` and `calamares` gone means the installer started applying the desktop profile, but its final clean-up step never ran, so the live-media marker `/etc/q4oslivemedia` stayed on the installed system. That usually happens when the computer is restarted or switched off while the installer still shows "Applying Desktop profile ...". Deleting the file as you did is the fix. You can also clear the remaining live-boot configuration with `sudo apt purge live-boot`. The new Q4OS 6.10 Trinity live image (r2) and the next q4os-base update remove such a leftover marker automatically on first boot.
Offline
Pages: 1