You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-15 22:49

bhk.kmp@gmail.com

cutomised q4os install help, reimage from usb

Hello,

I have customised my q4os and want to take a copy of my initial install which includes
- the os on one partition
- the home directory on another partition
- all apt and discover apps
- swap with hibernate
- all partitions
- encryption with a default password. 

I want to copy everything to a usb and then whenever I want, just get a fresh customised reinstall by copying everything back to the hardrive. 

I would like to use this same usb as a live boot usb with persistence and encryption.  Ideally I just need to change something for booting from a hardrive before copying to my hardrive

I want to set "toram" for both the usb and the harddrive and make sure the whole barebones os is loaded to ram, not just the kernel.
If possible I would like to load the applications to ram as well as I have 16 gigs

I am guessing that I might be able to do this maybe with a dd with a low setting on the bytes?

Please let me know
1) what to change on my ssd hardrive to load the os and then applications "toram"
2) what command to use to copy my laptop setup to my usb
3) what to change on the usb after the copy to make a live boot "toram" usb with persistence and encryption
4) What is the command to change the LUKS password on the usb
I believe I have a working live boot "toram" usb with persistence and encryption, with new password

When I want to reninstall from the usb
1) what command to copy back to the hardrive for complete reinstall, in case there is any changes to the command in 1
2) any change for changing the LUKS password

Thanks

(by the way, I dont have a hibernate option when I choose to have a swap during install, I only have a sleep option - how can I)

#2 2024-07-16 11:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: cutomised q4os install help, reimage from usb

bhk.kmp@gmail.com wrote:

I want to copy everything to a usb and then whenever I want, just get a fresh customised reinstall by copying everything back to the hardrive.

First, we would recommend you to try S4-snapshot application for Q4OS to achieve the above, see https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4510

As you examine the app, just report here, we will try to assist you with resolving individual issues.

#3 2024-07-18 14:04

seb3773

Hey, this is not exactly the same goal, but I started a project of a rescue toolkit live CD based on Q4OS Trinity, you can check it here if you want: https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4rescue/   (It's very 'beta' for now, but I will improve it.)

I made it with the 'remastersys' tool  : https://github.com/nerun/remastersys

Maybe it will help you to achieve what you want smile

Last edited by seb3773 (2024-07-18 14:04)

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#4 2024-07-21 03:41

bhk.kmp@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply.

S4-snapshot looks promising.

A few more questions:
- Will the ISO produced by S4-snapshot be installable on different laptops from different vendors which need different binaries/drivers (I have two laptops).   
- Does the ISO come with all the binaries/drivers for all laptops/PCs?
- How can I install it to usb as live-ISO with persistence (everything same in the partitions).  I assume S4-snapshot will give me an ISO that is live bootable when burned to usb, and I can use makeUSB to burn it with persistence since makeUSB works with Debian?
- Is there something better than makeUSB for this?
- If I multiboot my hard drive install, can I then extract a multiboot ISO and then create a multiboot USB with persistence?  Say Q4OS, a BSD derivative, GParted live, Rescatux, and windows 11 (for updating my bios)?

Thanks

#5 2024-07-21 15:23

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bhk.kmp@gmail.com wrote:

Will the ISO produced by S4-snapshot be installable on different laptops from different vendors which need different binaries/drivers (I have two laptops).

It depends on kernel, firmware and drivers you include in your customized iso. Q4OS live media features the default Debian kernel, most of Debian firmware and drivers available, with some exceptions, for example Nvidia drivers.

bhk.kmp@gmail.com wrote:

Does the ISO come with all the binaries/drivers for all laptops/PCs?

It depends on what you include in your customized iso.

bhk.kmp@gmail.com wrote:

How can I install it to usb as live-ISO with persistence (everything same in the partitions).  I assume S4-snapshot will give me an ISO that is live bootable when burned to usb, and I can use makeUSB to burn it with persistence since makeUSB works with Debian?

We are not sure at the moment, please try some instructions for MX-snapshot as S4-snapshot is a fork.

bhk.kmp@gmail.com wrote:

Is there something better than makeUSB for this?

Create bootable usb with any tool designated for Debian.

bhk.kmp@gmail.com wrote:

If I multiboot my hard drive install, can I then extract a multiboot ISO and then create a multiboot USB with persistence?  Say Q4OS, a BSD derivative, GParted live, Rescatux, and windows 11 (for updating my bios)?

We don't understand the question, please specify in more detail.

Board footer