You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-29 09:20

bin

Change icons used by Dolphin-KDE when running TDE

For a lot of stuff I'm quite happy running TDE.

It has a couple of weaknesses, one of which is lack of PDF Preview in Konqueror and the other is in Open Download folder after D/L something with Firefox. Again this is a weakness with Konqueror as a file manager.

The other PITA is the lack of any sane way of working with a projector getting the same screen on both laptop and desktop.

The areas are nicely resolved in Plasma.

When I need to use a projector I log in to a Plasma session, the rest of the time I'm in TDE (which I prefer).

However, the bit that eludes me is the folder/file icons being used in Dolphin when running it via TDE.

I have both Plasma and TDE running with crystalsvg as icons, but Dolphin Plasma is using a default (Breeze???) set when running in TDE.

The dolphinrc files in both .config and .configtde recognise the icon size correctly but no mention of icon theme anywhere. Tried adding
[Icons]
Theme=crystalsvg

but no change.

Any ideas please?

Last edited by bin (2024-06-29 12:15)

#2 2024-06-29 13:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Change icons used by Dolphin-KDE when running TDE

bin wrote:

Qt5 apps running in TDE get icon set from current TDE settings, however they cannot use Crystalsvg and Nuvola icon sets, as they are not located in standard /usr/share/icons/ prefix, but /opt/trinity/share/icons/ . So these two icon sets need to be substituted with something else, for example Oxygen or Breeze, what are available. If you would unset QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME variable, you may set KDE apps configuration in $HOME/configtde/ config files for TDE session.

bin wrote:

... lack of PDF Preview in Konqueror ...

Works fine here. Did you install kpdf-trinity ?

bin wrote:

... and the other is in Open Download folder after D/L something with Firefox ..

It works fine here. What way did you install Firefox ?

bin wrote:

... I have both Plasma and TDE running with crystalsvg as icons ..

How did you convince Plasma to use Crystalsvg icons ?

Last edited by q4osteam (2024-06-29 13:09)

#3 2024-06-29 13:09

seb3773

bin wrote:

The dolphinrc files in both .config and .configtde recognise the icon size correctly but no mention of icon theme anywhere. Tried adding
[Icons]
Theme=crystalsvg

but no change.

Any ideas please?

It's strange indeed. I don't use plasma, but in tde doplhin simply uses the system theme... I have only one machine with q4os plasma, will check it to see what can be the cause.. Maybe Q4OS Team can help ?

bin wrote:

The other PITA is the lack of any sane way of working with a projector getting the same screen on both laptop and desktop.

Maybe you can try the "action center" applet that is bundled with my win10 theme (you can install it then revert to your theme and use the applet with your theme, or maybe I can try to make a .deb install for it) ; it has a "project" button with the classic windows options (expand, duplicate, etc...).

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#4 2024-06-29 16:07

bin

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

Qt5 apps running in TDE get icon set from current TDE settings, however they cannot use Crystalsvg and Nuvola icon sets, as they are not located in standard /usr/share/icons/ prefix, but /opt/trinity/share/icons/ . So these two icon sets need to be substituted with something else, for example Oxygen or Breeze, what are available. If you would unset QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME variable, you may set KDE apps configuration in $HOME/configtde/ config files for TDE session.

bin wrote:

... lack of PDF Preview in Konqueror ...

Works fine here. Did you install kpdf-trinity ?

bin wrote:

... and the other is in Open Download folder after D/L something with Firefox ..

It works fine here. What way did you install Firefox ?

bin wrote:

... I have both Plasma and TDE running with crystalsvg as icons ..

How did you convince Plasma to use Crystalsvg icons ?

Thanks for the info about the icon file paths - I'll have a fiddle.

Sorry, on reflection I didn't phrase that lot terribly well.....

Konqeror TDE does not give a PDF thumbnail - just the Adobe icon. With Dolphin Plasma in TDE it does give thumbnail.

By amending the inode directory setting in TDE and removing the Konqeror entries it is possible to have Dolphin Plasma as the default file manager for the Open Download Folder in Firefox ESR as well as My Documents etc.

In Plasma>Settings>Icons>Get More> you can install a set of crystalsvg icons for Plasma. I don't think they're 100% complete but it seems to work.

Thanks for the continued improvements to Q4OS!

#5 2024-06-29 16:10

bin

seb3773 wrote:

Maybe you can try the "action center" applet that is bundled with my win10 theme (you can install it then revert to your theme and use the applet with your theme, or maybe I can try to make a .deb install for it) ; it has a "project" button with the classic windows options (expand, duplicate, etc...).

Thanks for the heads up - I'll have a look at that and see how it goes. it will be a great step forward if you have been able to fix this as it has been a 'bug' since as long as I can remember (and that's KDE 1.00) smile

#6 2024-06-30 15:34

bin

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

In the end it was very simple. All it required was copying the new Plasma version of crystalsvg - called crystalSVG - from my ~/.local/share/icons to /usr/share/icons and then selecting that set in TDE settings. Dolphin-Plasma now looks fine as default file manager in Q4OS Trinity.  OK, there are a couple that are not right/missing but they're easy enough to re-create.

Just need to work out why I get "Unable to create KIO worker - Unknown Protocol System" when trying to open USB keys in Dolphin next.

Thanks for the pointer Team.

Last edited by bin (2024-06-30 16:01)

#7 2024-07-01 12:58

Midas

bin wrote:

By amending the inode directory setting in TDE and removing the Konqeror entries it is possible to have Dolphin Plasma as the default file manager for the Open Download Folder in Firefox ESR as well as My Documents etc.

Any pointers on how to do this would be welcome. A tutorial, perhaps? big_smile

#8 2024-07-01 16:59

bin

There is a gotcha/HEALTH WARNING with this. If you do it then Control Centre may well misbehave afterwards to the point of not working.

You can get back by opening Konsole> enter 'konqueror settings'. The blank window has a Settings menu>Configure Konqueror>File Associations>inode and move Dolphin down a couple of notches.

Treat it as an experiment - I may get there yet but it may well be that hijacking Dolphin Plasma may be a bridge too far.... but I'll keep trying.

Control Centre>TDE Components>File Associations>  Expand inode>  Select directory

On the right:-
Application Preference Order>Add>   in the search box type Dolphin and click OK

In the Order list:-
Select Dolphin and Move Up to top.

AS I said - these are turbulent waters - best reserved for a VM or test machine for now......

#9 2024-07-02 07:17

bin

OK - I've done a bit more fiddling with this and progress!

Running in TDE
Control Centre>TDE Components>File Associations>  Expand inode>  Select directory

On the right:-
Application Preference Order>Add>   in the search box type Dolphin and click OK

In the Order list:-
Select Dolphin and Move Up to top.
Make sure there's only one entry for konqueror underneath that
Leave Kate and FSView alone below konqueror

File management works OK, Control Centre works OK.

The only other change needed is how removable media are handled.

When inserting USB etc if you go for the normal mount and open default action you get Dolphin with a KIO error.

You can still access the USB item by going to Removable Devices at the bottom of the list in the left pane of Dolphin - but it's a bit inelegant.

Instead, go to Control Centre>Peripherals>Storage Media.
Select Unmounted Removable Medium from the drop down
Select Open Medium System Folder and then click Toggle Auto Action, Apply, OK.
Reboot.

After that you will find USB stuff will open in Dolphin-Plasma quite happily.

The bit I am still fiddling with is re-accessing mounted removable media that have already been mounted, opened and closed.
They will open but with a KIO error, so instead need right click and Open Medium System Folder.
OK you can open from the left pane as above but....
I have tried a few changes in the Storage Media settings but no progress yet on this final (very minor) hurdle.

Last edited by bin (2024-07-02 08:17)

#10 2024-07-02 12:06

Midas

Thanks. cool

#11 2024-07-06 14:57

seb3773

@bin :  about your need to work with a projector getting the same screen on both laptop and desktop when using Trinity DE, I builded a package (well, two packages, one for x64 and one for i386, as I don't know what architecture you're using) for my "action center" applet for kicker (designed for my q4os win10 theme, but can be used independently of it), you can try it, maybe it will help you smile

Last edited by seb3773 (2024-07-06 14:58)

Attachments:
deb actioncenter-applet.deb, Size: 34.68 KiB, Downloads: 35
deb actioncenter_applet_i386.deb, Size: 35.45 KiB, Downloads: 43

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#12 2024-07-07 06:42

bin

Thank you - I'll see how I get on.

Board footer