You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-21 07:36

bin

2024 - the year of Windows on the desktop??

#2 2024-06-21 13:30

Midas

Re: 2024 - the year of Windows on the desktop??

As a long time Windows user -- and although I've yet to test Windows 11 -- I can confirm the article is pretty accurate on the ordeals of Windows installation.

My 3 top recomends to anyone still brave enough to try it:

1) run a debloat script ASAP (there are dozens of them, so YMMV);
2) also disable updates ASAP (you'll have to gugle for that...), run them manually, after delaying and checking online for unwanted side-effects;
3) don't install software (unless you absolutely have to... run so-called portables instead, no installation required, little adverse effects on system health, and, if you're careful enough, they'll even survive the infernal Windows re-install cycle unscathed).

As they said in ancient times: Leave all hope, ye who enter... big_smile

#3 2024-06-22 23:39

seb3773

I partially agree with the article... Well, I agree with the conclusion, but disagree on some details tongue On linux you may have some sort of inconstency too with the windows style/decoratons in some cases. And some other details that don't matter so much at my opinion... But I strongly agree about the windows updates mechanisms: it's clearly a nightmare. And yes, windows is kind of a "fragile" OS that can be break so easily...
There's something that was not mentioned that REALLY annoys me : microsoft like to change location of some important settings, and like to play with admins nerves... I have to manage a LOT of windows machine (yes, my life sucks) and the mix between win10 / win11 (and win7 on some older computers too...yes, they are no updates for this machines, but they are not connected to internet and they are in a very "controlled" environment... anyway, we have no choice but to keep them for now as they host software not compatible with newer versions of windows..long story...) is a nightmare too. As admins, we need consistency, changing location of critical settings between windows versions is just absurd and a waste of time.
And don't start me about the lags and performances problems...
I could write a full page of what is clearly bad on windows in comparison of linux, but as we are on the q4os forum, I think we all know well why we are here wink

Last edited by seb3773 (2024-06-22 23:42)

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#4 2024-07-31 01:50

crosscourt
Website

Windows is tiring to install, updates are maddening, driver issues are far too common and dealing with the constant Microsoft account notices gets old. I run Win11 on quite a few of my pcs along with Win10, but Linux is far easier to install, update and use by a long way.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.5 KDE   HP Elitedesk 705 G4 Mini - Ryzen 5 2400g, 16gb ddr4, 1tb m.2 nvme ssd

Board footer