You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-11 13:20

Q4OSFriend

Software requests for the live environment

Hi,

I like Q4OS but the default install CD's software selection seems a little sparse to me.

Additional software can be installed with the profiler tool, but I also like to think about how I might use my computer without the internet.
For this reason I like "full" ISO installs like Ubuntu or Linux Mint where the system comes preinstalled with media players, PDF readers, office suites, etc...
It makes installing easier and it also makes things smoother if, god forbid, Q4OS were one day to disappear and its repositories no longer existed.
Or if, for some reason, one could no longer to the internet.

I love Q4OS, and it's in general my favorite distro, but that is my only gripe with it.

I think the live environment (or the default environment provided by the install CD) could benefit from a little more default software.

Something simple like kolourpaint, ksnapshot, kaffeine, kpdf, kooka, and juk/amarok would go a long way to make the default environment more complete, both on KDE and TDE.

That software selection would IMO put Q4OS on par with XP/7 which both came preinstalled with a media player and a few accessories.

If not, I think the option for a "full install" ISO would also be nice. That way one can install a fully-featured Q4OS on a computer without necessarily having access to the internet.

#2 2024-06-11 16:28

seb3773

Re: Software requests for the live environment

Not a bad idea, but why not create your own live iso ? I think with S4 snapshot you can take an image of your running system and turn it into a live system (never tried, correct me if I'm wrong)

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#3 2024-06-11 16:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Software requests for the live environment

seb3773 wrote:

... with S4 snapshot you can take an image of your running system and turn it into a live system (never tried, correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, that is a way.

Board footer