You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-27 05:29

slightlygood

Black screen at login/graphical login screen doesn't apear

Hey all! I newly install Q4OS 32 bit version on a 2 GB HP 2000 Notebook which uses intel graphics and cpu (i3). Installation went on without issues but when I booted for the first times, the boot messages appear and then when its time for the login screen to appear, it is instead black and doesn't show anything.

I tried first setting multiuser.target through a live boot ubuntu by chroot. Then when I booted, login worked as it was no longer graphical. However when I run 'startx', the screen is still black.

I also, at boot time, went into the grub boot entries and edited it to remove 'quiet' and instead added 'nomodeset'. Then graphical screen appeared through starts after which I got the welcome screen and was able to setup the desktop profile (I chose the basic profile) and update the system. However nomodeset is only temporary and I'm unable to change the entry in config to run it with nomodeset every time.

Any solutions for this? Or troubleshooting steps so that it uses the graphic card like the debian bookworm which was installed before on this device and ran without any such issues?

Installation ISO used: q4os-5.4-i386-instcd.r1
Installation method: Classic installer (not the autoinstaller) as I had Windows 7 alongside and wanted to keep it
Desktop: Trinity 32 bit

#2 2024-05-27 08:37

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Black screen at login/graphical login screen doesn't apear

slightlygood wrote:

I also, at boot time, went into the grub boot entries and edited it to remove 'quiet' and instead added 'nomodeset'. ... However nomodeset is only temporary and I'm unable to change the entry in config to run it with nomodeset every time. ...Any solutions for this?

You need to edit "/etc/default/grub", modify GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line and run command in terminal:
$ sudo sudo update-grub

#3 2024-05-27 10:34

slightlygood

You need to edit "/etc/default/grub", modify GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line and run command in terminal:
$ sudo sudo update-grub

I solved the issue by making file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-graphics.conf' with contents:

Section "Module"
    Load "dri3"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "DRI"   "3"
EndSection

#4 2024-05-27 10:39

slightlygood

I tried and everything worked well so I finally decided to remove everything and simply install Q4OS standalone without Windows 7.

For this I chose the option which install directly without asking much questions but it leads to the bootloader not being installed. Previously when I had tried to install it beside Windows7, it would simply update the existing boot partition and it had worked fine. This time, however, the installation fails and I'm left with an unbootable system.

What to do now? Tried a live boot usb of Ubuntu and chrooted into q4, while running grub-install it tells be that it is unable to find modinfo.sh

Should I make a separate thread for this issue?

Board footer