You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-04 01:25

immoral_fiber

First time with Q4OS but I like it... I have questions.

The reason I'm here is to figure out how to enable middle-mouse-button click to paste. As I understand it, there are two clipboards on Linux systems, the middle-mouse pastes from whatever text was most recently selected. I'm unsure if it's a standardized feature, a part of X, or something else. But I can't find an option to enable it in Trinity.

That's the most important thing. Otherwise, I'm still trying to figure out where power settings are (hibernate, sleep, battery, etc).

Thanks!

#2 2024-01-04 08:37

NoMoreWindows

Re: First time with Q4OS but I like it... I have questions.

Don't know about clipboard stuff but interesting.

I am into figuring out Hibernate.

It worked, then I learned it could use a bigger swap file. After I made a big swap file of 20GB to allow my 16GB RAM to be saved upon hibernate, the Hibernate feature disappeared from the Shutdown options. Turns out I unintentionally removed the original swap partition from the configuration and Hibernate is not configured to use my new swap file. The system then automatically removed the Hibernate option from the menus. I now have to tell the system to use my new swap file for Hibernate. I'll let you know when I managed to do this, or any help welcome.

*Edit*

This is becoming off-topic and I don't know whether I'll pursue it further or not.

I created a 20GB swap partition now and the Hibernate option is there again. But it does not restore my working state after restart and startup feels like it is taking longer than before.
Hibernate remains a problem for me under Linux, one thing Windows did better, although not always without problems either.

Last edited by NoMoreWindows (2024-01-04 14:09)

#3 2024-01-04 10:36

Testyyy

Hello

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but to find the power management settings, you can right click on the TDE powersave icon in the taskbar and click Configure TDEPowersave. This opens the Powersave settings. (On Trinity)

#4 2024-01-04 16:23

Testyyy

I didn't know about this second clipboard you're talking about, and while searching I discovered that this feature works on my computer (with Trinity): I just need to select text to paste it with the middle mouse button. To configure it, I found that you have to right-click the clipboard icon, then click Configure Klipper to open the clipboard settings. To enable this clipboard for selection, the "Separate clipboard from selection" option seems to need to be active. I give you an extract from the explanations on this subject that I found in Trinity Help Center:

The X Window System® uses two different buffer areas for copy/pasting: the “selection” and the “clipboard”. Text is placed in the selection buffer simply by selecting it, and it can be pasted with the middle mouse button. To place text in the clipboard buffer, select it and then press Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C simultaneously. Text from the clipboard buffer is pasted by simultaneously pressing Ctrl-V or selecting Edit->Paste.

Change clipboard and selection behavior:

To change the clipboard/selection behavior, from the dashboard context menu select Configure Klipper..., then in the dialog box that appears, select the General tab. The Separate clipboard from selection option makes the clipboard buffer and the selection function buffer independent. With this option set, the Ignore Selection option will prevent Klipper from including the selection contents in the clipboard history and from performing any actions on the selection contents. With the Synchronize clipboard contents and selection option, the clipboard and selection buffer always have the same content. This means that the text in the selection can be pasted either with the middle mouse button or with the Ctrl-V key combination, and the same can be done for the text in the clipboard buffer area.

#5 2024-01-04 16:25

Testyyy

But surely there is someone more qualified than me on the matter.

#6 2024-01-25 01:37

immoral_fiber

Update:

Turns out my mouse is just broken. Everything works except middle-mouse-down. Scroll wheel works fine. Switched to a new mouse, no more problem.

Board footer