You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-07 18:03

TimG

Getting rid of Windows?

Hello

I installed Q4OS (Plasma desktop) on an old PC using the Windows installer, this seems to install Linux in the same partition as Windows. I am very happy with Q4OS and I want to get rid of Windows and use all the drive space for Q4OS. Can I just use the Dolphin file manager in Q4OS to delete the non-Linux folders? Noting that I am a Linux noob, is there a guide I can follow to take the actions I need to take?

FYI - I installed the Linux distro from the Windows installer because I could not get the BIOS to boot to a USB or a CD - I tried a wide variety of methods to no avail but the Windows installer worked. It's something about this one PC - I installed the OS on my ancient netbook from the USB with no problems.

Thanks

#2 2024-01-07 18:26

Rademes

Re: Getting rid of Windows?

1. If you can not install Linux distro from your USB Stick, and you must use Windows installer, then you should NOT remove Windows. Imagine the situation, when your Linux distro will be damaged somehow (by typing wrong command, installing faulty software etc. etc.) and you will be forced to reinstall Linux OS. Without Windows you will not be able to do it.
2. You should bring your computer to the qualified technician, because something is wrong with your BIOS or BIOS settings. BIOS should give you the possibility to boot from USB Flash drive. But first try to boot from another USB Flash drive, or CD/DVD, if you have DVD Rom.
3. It is not recommended to get rid from Windows by simply removing Windows folders. You will not remove Windows such way completely. After such removal unexpected errors may appear.
4. Next time, before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502
And provide all requested information.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#3 2024-01-07 21:50

TimG

Thank you for the quick reply.
1. I appreciate the clarification.  I will keep trying to figure out how to get the PC to let me boot it from a USB or CD.  The BIOS does not list these as boot options.
2. For this old PC, it's not worth it to take it to a tech.  If I cannot get Q4OS on it w/o Windows I might live with it as is or I might strip it for any useful parts.
3.0 Good to know.
3. My apologies for posting a question that warrants admonition.

#4 2024-01-08 08:26

hchiper

Try this: when you power on your computer, hit F12 repeatedly (several times per second) while it is booting, it's the usual way to display a menu with boot devices options.

With some BIOSes, boot on external devices is an option that might also have been disabled.

Access to boot options in the BIOS might also require a BIOS-specific kind of admin password (nothing to do with Windows Administrator's pwd nor with Linux root's pwd).

Obviously, your question is related to the BIOS and its config, not to Q4OS, so if you searched quickly in your BIOS, then look once again carefully.

Last edited by hchiper (2024-01-08 08:42)

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#5 2024-01-08 09:13

NoMoreWindows

It should be possible to get into the BIOS. Let us know the PC's brand and type.
When you install Q4OS in a seperate partition, de GRUB menu has an UEFI line in it that you can use to get into the BIOS/UEFI settings.

#6 2024-01-09 03:13

TimG

@hchipper
Thanks for your comments.  I did what you suggested before posting this question.  I am able to get the the BIOS without the need for a BIOS password; it is UEFI rather than legacy. But in the the BIOS boot prioritization menu there is no option for USB boot and there is no option for CD boot (this PS has a CD-drive). Please review my initial post and you will see the question relates to deleting the Windows portion of the drive while keeping Q4OS from the Windows installer (this question was answered). One might interpret that to be a question about BIOS and it might also be seen as a topic other than BIOS. Again, thanks for the a comments.  I do appreciate the feedback.

@NoMoreWindoows
Thank you for the comments.  I am able to get into the BIOS, but in the BIOS boot prioritization menu there is no option for a USB boot and there is no option for a CD boot.  The PC is a Dell Inspiron 24-3455.  I will need to do some research into investigate the GRUB menu you noted - I am not familiar with it.  Thanks again for the comments.

#7 2024-01-09 08:04

bin

One of the great things about Dell is that they provide for updating the BIOS outside the OS - so it must be possible to boot the machine from USB or CD/DVD.

According to the general support info for the 3455:-
Updating the BIOS from DOS with UEFI boot mode enabled (Non-Windows users, Load Legacy Option Disabled)

Note 1: Before updating the BIOS, ensure that you suspend BitLocker encryption on a BitLocker-enabled system. If it is not enabled on your system, you can ignore this step. For information about how to disable BitLocker, see How to Enable or Disable BitLocker with TPM in Windows at support.dell.com.
Note 2: Do not turn off the power or interrupt the BIOS update process during the update.

Installation
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB drive.
2. Power on the system and then go to BIOS Setup by pressing the F2 key.
3. Go to General > Boot Sequence > Boot > Boot List Option.
4. Change UEFI to Legacy of Boot List Option.
5. Go to Exit > Save Changes and reboot system.
6. Press F12 and then select USB Storage Device and boot to the DOS prompt.
7. Run the file by typing the file name.
The system restarts automatically and updates the BIOS at the system startup screen. After the BIOS update is complete, the system restarts again.
8. Go to BIOS Setup by pressing the F2 key and go to General > Boot Sequence > Boot > Boot List Option.
9. Change Legacy to UEFI Boot Option.
10. Go to Exit > Save Changes, and reboot the system.

Ignoring all the stuff about the BIOS update, the key point is item 4. Give that a whirl and hopefully you will then be able to see the USB key and boot from it.

#8 2024-01-10 02:00

TimG

Success!

Thank you to @bin, @hchiper , and @NoMoreWindows . Your feedback helped me update the BIOS and make a clean install of Q4OS (no more Windows on this PC).

Thanks again!

#9 2024-01-10 09:06

hchiper

Happy to help

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

Board footer