You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-28 14:28

Severus

I was going to make my own Debian Respin Until Q4OS

I've always been a Ubuntu/Debian linux user. 
I simply refuse to use anything else.

Eventually I became very picky and for a while expert net installs met my needs.

Can't really explain my needs but the system must be light and functional; and there was always a lack of this in any debian based linux distro I tried, like all of them.  MX is too fat, Antix isn't as functional as I need, Debian LXQT isn't as functional as I need, Lite is too fat, Sparky isn't as functional as I need, Tails is live only.  Basically, every single distro was a screw up in some sort of way. 

So naturally, you conclude, you have to make your own respin or distro.  And I had began this process with so many different bases I was starting to develop expertise.  Then, I re-encountered Q4OS.  I had seen it before on distrowatch though nothing about it's description distinguished it enough from the rest of the crowd.  But I couldn't have been more wrong.  And I had overlooked, that it's origins were in Germany.  This distro exceeds my targets for my own respin; it's a beautiful thing that brings the best of linux.  I don't quite agree especially with how all the settings seem all over the place, but apart from this it is near flawless apart from a few minor details some of which can be found by exploring my posts.  I don't think this distro gets the praise it deserves.  I think it is a much better product than antiX and MX. 

The best linux distro I have ever encountered, period.

#2 2020-05-29 16:18

tlmiller76

Re: I was going to make my own Debian Respin Until Q4OS

Severus wrote:

So naturally, you conclude, you have to make your own respin or distro.

Maybe natural to you, but not to me.  In 25 years of using linux, I've never once had the thought "I should make my own distro".  A netinstall of Debian/Arch/Fedora/Void has always been my go-to, making my own distro never even would cross my mind.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#3 2020-06-10 16:19

Severus

Re: I was going to make my own Debian Respin Until Q4OS

Just so you know a respin usually starts with a netinstall; naturally I would pick the expert netinstall.  Kubuntu is technically a respin, just an official one.
While Ubuntu used the Debian installer up to 19.10 there was a nice little trick you could do to cut your install size by up to half on Ubuntu which was to skip the step to select software and just install the grub loader.  You just required ethernet and had to manually connect with:
ip link show

sudo ip link set eth0 up
sudo dhclient eth0
sudo apt update

But you would lose certain recovery options and instead booted directly into a root console.
Then you set up the system as you want and you would likely use software like refracta to create a live image and an installer for your respin.
Respin means you used some sort of base Debian or otherwise.
You eventually become very familiar with all the system components.
You also eventually figure out you can't compete with Q4OS or doing so is mostly a gigantic waste of time since they do it right.

Board footer