You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-27 22:06

Severus

Difference between standard and minimal desktop?

Stupid question, I know, but I installed standard desktop on my desktop computer and it downloaded a bunch of stuff.
Then I installed Q4OS on my netbook (the one with the stuborn modern wifi hardware) and to my delight the wifi worked. 
But when I came to first boot it asked to set up the wifi and I'm not a particular fan of the GUI for instance my said to click on save and connect but this was stupid since I had yet to enter the wifi password just the SSID; the actual button I was suppose to click on is next.  Also they should call it Standard WPA/WPA2, not WPA-Personal, and the shared key label should be changed to password.  Anyways, it loaded up the desktop without connecting to the internet so I assume given the former desktop install that it give me the minimal desktop, yet I see no difference between my laptop and desktop; yet one downloaded an incredible amount of content.  Like it really should not be upgrading if that's what it was doing because this adds confusion.

So what is the difference between the standard and minimal desktop?

#2 2020-06-04 20:40

Tolkem

Re: Difference between standard and minimal desktop?

So what is the difference between the standard and minimal desktop?

I installed Q4OS and chose the minimal desktop, the one intended for "expert/advanced users or developers" or so claims the warning/notice, which installed just a few packages and then just added/installed my own selection later. I'm using Q4OS KDE and think the difference is that with "standard" you get the "standard" settings; office suite -Libre Office, web browser -Firefox, and whatever else it installs, whereas the "minimal" gives you the "minimal" settings; a terminal, a file manager and a few more packages, then you can just add/install your own selection/preferred apps/tools/packages later. This also means that more basic tools are installed with standard and less with minimal. Basically, standard = more packages installed and minimal = fewer/less packages installed. You can check just "exactly" how many packages are installed in your "standard" and "minimal" respectively by opening a terminal and typing

dpkg --get-selections | wc -l

hit enter and wait for the output, for instance I got 1619 here. Run that in both your machines and compare the output which should be different for each.

Hope this helps! smile

Last edited by Tolkem (2020-06-04 21:02)

Board footer