You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-20 22:55

Gamadril

Install process is hanging during bootup

I got an old x86 box with a NON-PAE CPU (h**ps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Internet_Communicator). So I'm looking for a linux distro to install it to the HDD and there are not many options actually...
So I took q4os-3.11-i386-instcd.r1.iso and made a bootable USB disk using rufus. And actually it's booting up to the installation options menu and if I remove the "quiet" option I can see that vmlinuz and initr.gz are loaded successfully. However the next black screen is just showing me a blinking cursor in the top left corner hanging forever.

Any idea what's the problem and how to install Q4OS to HDD?

P.S. I got Damn Small Linux running from USB drive so in general linux "should" work on that hardware - it might be a question of specific/old kernel version required?

#2 2020-05-21 07:47

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Install process is hanging during bootup

Yes, the Debian kernel is likely the issue. You could give the old-stable Q4OS Scorpion a try https://www.q4os.org/downloads3.html

#3 2020-05-21 14:42

Gamadril

Re: Install process is hanging during bootup

same result. I also tried several debian netinstall iso images. Debian Wheezy (7) is the last one that could start the installation, beginning from Jessie (8) same result with hanging boot process.

I thought about taking the current Q4OS release, building a current 4.x kernel with pae deactivated for it and generate a new install iso from all that. Is it much effort? And is there a guide to start with?

Board footer