You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-17 11:45

perepou

Reinstallation: Drivers Backup? / How to resize with "GParted"?

Translated with Google

Hello everyone!!!

First of all, thank the Q4OS team for creating such a magnificent distribution that consumes few resources.

I have in a very old "Dell Latitude D610" installed the Q4OS 16bits, and I want to add another operating system (Windows MiniOS) to the Dell.

So I will create a new partition on disk and I will most certainly lose the current Q4OS Installation.

1) In order not to lose the drivers / firmwares that I found so hard to find (especially for Wifi). Is there a "DriverBackup" type program for Q4OS / Debian / Linux?

2) Currently Q4OS occupies the entire Hard Drive, I have tried to resize it with "GParted" to create space for Windows 10, but I cannot.
Do I have to unmount the Q4OS partition? Can the data be lost? Someone with experience and who can guide me?

Thank you for your attention.

------------------------------------
Original in Spanish:

Hola a todos!!!
Ante todo agradecer al equipo de Q4OS por crear una distribución tan magnifica y que consume pocos recursos.

Tengo en un muy antiguo "Dell Latitude D610" instalado el Q4OS 16bits, y deseo añadir al Dell otro sistema operativo (Windows MiniOS).

Por lo que crearé una nueva partición en el disco y lo mas seguro que pierda la actual Instalación de Q4OS.

1) Para no perder los drivers/firmwares que tanto me costaron encontrar (sobre todo para el Wifi). ¿Existe algún programa tipo "DriverBackup" para Q4OS/Debian/Linux?

2) Actualmente Q4OS ocupa todo el Disco Duro, he tratado de redimensionar con "GParted" para crear espacio para el Windows 10, pero no lo consigo.
¿He de desmontar la partición de Q4OS?¿Se pueden perder los datos?¿Alguien con experiencia y que me puede orientar?

Gracias por vuestra atención.

#2 2020-05-17 16:42

diyako

Re: Reinstallation: Drivers Backup? / How to resize with "GParted"?

@perpou,
Welcome to Q4OS.
I can probably provide you with answer to your question number 2. Yes, it is possible to resize your Q4OS partition using Gparted, however you have to do it form a live CD or USB stick image not form installed Q4OS. You should bear in mind that there is always the possibility of losing data when you do that.
Also, if you install Windows after installing any linux distribution, you will lose the option of booting into Q4OS as Windows operating system will over write the GRUB and consequently your boot menu. So, I recommend you set up your partitions using Gpartd from a live CD/USB, install Windows first if you must, then install Q4OS.

#3 2020-05-17 20:03

perepou

Thank you very much for your answer.
This is the reason why I was looking for an application that would allow me to save the drivers used in the current Q4OS installation, since it cost me a lot to find a pair (one of the Wifi, and the other I don't remember).

The probability of losing the current installation is practically certain, but I wanted to try it, and if it went wrong ... Reinstall !!!

Thank you very much again.

#4 2020-05-18 05:46

Dai_trying

If you resize your partition and leave free space on your hdd it is possible to install Win10 and tell it to only use the space you want, then when you install windows it will not remove Q4OS but will happily co-reside with it. There is one hurdle you would need to cross and that is to get grub re-installed in order to boot both systems, this can be done using a Live-Cd and "chroot" into the Q4OS installation and re-install grub. I have done this a couple of times with success.

Bear in mind that Windows 10 will run like a lame dog on a single core system and I would not even attempt it, but you might have other requirements that mean you have to install it, I wish you every success and would love to hear if you get it all up and running ok.

#5 2020-05-18 11:15

perepou

Thanks for your answer.

In the end I have decided to install W10 minOS, but since I have Q4OS on two more computers, I am still very interested in learning about a backup program for the drivers.

A cordial greeting.

#6 2020-05-18 11:56

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You can still get Q4OS installed alongside Windows 10, just make use of the Q4OS for Windows installer https://www.q4os.org/dqa014.html

Board footer