You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-21 02:08

wove

Q4OS on Pinebook Pro

I liked Q4OS enough on my Raspberry Pi that I purchased a Pinebook Pro to use with Q4OS. It is really very snappy and looks very nice. I really appreciated the dpi setting right at first boot.

There are a few glitches. The most problematic is that sleep is not enabled, or perhaps it does sleep and just never wakes up. Sleeping is important for a laptop. Perhaps related is that the power guage is way off. The power guage reports 3 batteries and it always indicates the power is plugged in.

Wifi has been spotty at times. I am not sure what is going on, but I have had trouble downloading with synaptic and somewhere about every half hour Amarok drops my radio station.

I installed the Look Switcher, and switched to the Slide look, which I find attractive. When I go to configure desktop in Slide under behavior I try to add Desktop Menu bar and that results in two panels being added to the top.

I should note also the the Fn keys do not work, and two finger scroll and two finger right click do not work on the trackpad.

Thanks for everyone's efforts.
bill

#2 2020-01-21 17:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Q4OS on Pinebook Pro

Please keep in mind the Q4OS for PinebookPro edition is still in development and it is a testing release so far. We are aware of the issues you mentioned, we are working hard to make Q4OS for PBP stable, and release it as a stable version as soon as possible.

Anyway, thank you for the detailed and helpful reporting, you are welcome to go on.

#3 2020-01-23 02:04

wove

Re: Q4OS on Pinebook Pro

I have used Q4OS on the Pinebook Pro some more. I have found that the system can actually sleep and wake. If you press Fn + ESC the machine will go to sleep and then tapping the power button with wake it back up. It will take me a while to get use to using that key combo rather than just closing the lid.

In just some general play around, I added the TDE repositories to the stock Debian and installed the Trinity desktop.  So when I log I can choose either Mate or TDE. The TDE desktop comes up fine. Q4OS has that wonderful dpi switcher, which Trinity appears to lack, all I could do was increase the font sizes to make it easier to read.

Overall there are some plusses and minuses. Using TDE desktop on the stock install does allow two finger scrolling and two finger right clicking. However with TDE the power management is even worse, there is no sleeping using any method and with the TDE desktop active the Pinebook Pro does not even recognize when the power adaptor is plugged in.  Logging back into the stock Mate desktop returns everything back full working shape, so I suppose that must mean the issues are probably in the Trinity desktop itself.

As an amendment to my first post, I have discovered that two finger clicking for right click does actually work. The Pinebook Pro has a fairly lousy trackpad. Also while two finger scrolling does not work as far as I can tell, edge scrolling does work. I have not used edge scrolling in a very long time, but it does get the job done just fine.

bill

bill

Last edited by wove (2020-01-23 03:14)

Board footer