You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-17 00:52

DorianDotSlash

Re: Installing Centaurus wiped Scorpion from UEFI boot menu

Dai_trying wrote:

This would indicate to me that grub was not installed the "normal way" as when grub gets installed to UEFI either by using the command line or the installer it will try to put itself first in the boot order, at least that is what has happened with all my installations, but I am limited to only one UEFI machine so my experience is not really extensive.

I'm in the same boat, I only have one UEFI machine I can do testing with.  However, I've never had a newly installed UEFI entry become the default.  It always stays what I set it as.  My system is an MSI GP72.

#27 2018-09-17 10:11

Dai_trying

My system is a Dell Inspiron 15" 3000 Series laptop and I have found it's UEFI firmware to be pretty good so far, it seems to have more configuration options than a lot of other brands so I could manually place a file in the efi partition and add/modify/remove the boot entry to suit my needs. I know this can all be done using efibootmgr but if for some reason you cannot get a Linux installation to boot (I have got to this position Once when testing) I can often fix issues in the settings which other users (according to posts in the Debian User Forum) do not seem to have access to.

#28 2018-09-17 10:27

DorianDotSlash

Yes I can add/remove and change the order of the entries in my system as well, but I've never had a distro installation change the order that I've set.  It's usually added to the bottom of the list, and then I can make changes.  However, for that I need to hit F11 on boot, or go into settings to change it, otherwise my Manjaro UEFI bootloader will always boot (which is what I want).

#29 2018-09-17 16:01

Dai_trying

With mine the newest installed OS usually puts itself first in the boot order, I would guess it's just a slightly different way each UEFI version handles it? I thought it was what grub installation did though, but not the first time I have been wrong lol I have my Stable Q4OS as my main boot and if I want something else (I currently have 5 OS's on this machine) I press F12 for my boot menu. smile

#30 2018-09-18 00:55

DorianDotSlash

Manjaro is wonderful, and I'm about to install Netrunner(the debian version).  Q4OS Centaurus is currently installed on sda10 so I need to make an sda11 lol

#31 2018-09-18 08:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

DorianDotSlash wrote:

For some reason, even though I unchecked installing GRUB, "q4os" shows up in my UEFI list ...

The 'Install Grub' checkbox is relevant for BIOS, non-EFI, systems only. It works properly for the BIOS legacy mode only, so if you boot live media in the BIOS legacy mode and uncheck the box, grub will not be installed at all. For EFI systems, the 'install-grub' command will be always performed to insert a record into the UEFI boot list, regardless of the checkbox status.
We agree, it's confusing and has been considered as Q4OS bug. It's planned to be fixed in the next Q4OS release.

Board footer