You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-25 15:02

RetroDima

Thank you

Hey guys,

I just want to say a huge Thank You for the Trinity version of Q4OS!

In my free time I'm teaching seniors to work with technology, cause I feel that there's really a lot left to do in that field.
And these people have really old computers that simply don't work with heavier operating systems.
I've been looking for years for a linux distro that combines user friendliness with a lightweight footprint. The problem is, that these days even supposedly lightweight desktop environments are still too demanding for those machines.
That's when I finally found your distro.
(Seriously guys, please reach out to some content creators or something. It took me way too long to find you.)

A familiar looking desktop environment, that reminds me of better times without ever-present enshittification? Long Term Support? Sign me up!
So far the seniors are happy too. I'm even considering putting Q4OS on one of my personal machines, cause it's getting a little long in the tooth too, haha. big_smile

My Trinity Setup

Your distro is a truly amazing option to extend a computers lifespan!

So thank you!

Last edited by RetroDima (2024-06-26 22:08)

#2 2024-06-25 16:21

seb3773

Re: Thank you

100% agree with you, q4os is  SO underrated !
I discovered it when I was searching for the same thing as you : In order to revive old computers and/or extend their lifespan, I searched for a lightweight footprint linux distrib, which had to be user friendly too. I tried a LOT of so called lightweight distribs, and q4os Trinity is clearly the best. Very responsive even on very old machines, stable as hell, and trinity DE is very configurable, you can make it look just like you want, and there are no stupid distracting elements, it's clean & efficient.

*and yes, I think q4os deserves much more visibility, in the meantime, it's up to us to spread the word !

Last edited by seb3773 (2024-06-25 16:23)

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#3 2024-06-26 22:07

RetroDima

Oh my god, why have I only just found out about XPQ4? Hahahahaha. big_smile
This will be perfect for the next old laptop!

FreeXP.png

Last edited by RetroDima (2024-06-26 22:07)

#4 2024-06-27 08:50

seb3773

For Trinity desktop, you can try my win10 theme too wink

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#5 2024-06-27 09:19

RetroDima

Excellent. big_smile
Man, this is so much fun. A familiar look with like 4x performance.

Those seniors are using their computers for basic tasks like browsing the internet, viewing some family pictures and maybe sending a mail here and there anyway.
So giving them a look they're familiar with makes them feel at least somewhat at ease with using a new operating system, if you can believe it. Old dogs, new tricks, you know?

Sure, you could start showing them the wonderful world of desktop themes and even desktop environments, but to be frank, they really don't care about new stuff at all. And are mostly insecure and afraid of it.
They just want to do the stuff they've always been doing. Which again, are very basic tasks. As long as that works, they're happy.

So this is really helpful to make the transition easier.

Last edited by RetroDima (2024-06-27 10:22)

#6 2024-07-30 23:17

Christopher633

Hey! I'm glad Q4OS and Trinity are helping you and the seniors. It's really a great system for old computers. I had a similar issue with performance on older machines. Trinity is a real gem - lightweight and functional. It's nice to hear our seniors are happy!

I also think Q4OS deserves more attention in the community! It's great that you share our opinion and support older generations in learning technology. Maybe it's worth writing a tutorial or review so more people can discover Q4OS?

Board footer