You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-01 16:57

crodgers79

Is there a way to backup/restore all desktop customization settings?

I love Q4OS and especially the Trinity Desktop and how I can change it to look like the old Windows XP, fantastic! I was wondering though since I spend a lot of time tweaking the desktop settings to my liking is there any way to back them up? I find that sometimes when I'm applying a new setting unbeknownst to me it changes like three other things or resets the entire desktop and then I have to start all over. 

A way to backup my customized desktop sure would be nice!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Chris R.

#2 2024-06-03 08:38

seb3773

Re: Is there a way to backup/restore all desktop customization settings?

crodgers79 wrote:

I love Q4OS and especially the Trinity Desktop and how I can change it to look like the old Windows XP, fantastic! I was wondering though since I spend a lot of time tweaking the desktop settings to my liking is there any way to back them up? I find that sometimes when I'm applying a new setting unbeknownst to me it changes like three other things or resets the entire desktop and then I have to start all over. 

A way to backup my customized desktop sure would be nice!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Chris R.

I love the trinity desktop too, I will try to help:

Most of the desktop settings are stored in these files:

~/.trinity/share/config/kdesktoprc (desktop general configuration)
~/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc (Kicker-specific: taskbar, KMenu, etc.)
~/.trinity/share/config/kdeglobals
Making a backup of these files and restoring them if needed should be sufficient.

However, depending on which settings you are referring to, there are many other configuration files in the ~/.trinity/share/config/ folder.

A useful trick to find out what changes when you adjust settings through the graphical UI is to open a terminal and use the following command:

inotifywait -r -m -e modify ~/.trinity/share/config/ | while read file_path file_event file_name; do echo ${file_path} ${file_name} event: ${file_event}; done

This command will display which files are being modified. If you open these files in an editor like Kate and try to undo/redo your settings, you will know exactly which string or value is changing.

Hope this helps smile

Last edited by seb3773 (2024-06-03 08:38)

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#3 2024-06-03 14:04

crodgers79

Thank you VERY much for taking time to explain that all to me! Very helpful!!

Appreciate your time!

Chris R.

#4 2024-07-30 23:13

Christopher633

This one helped me too! Thank you very much!!! Have a nice day!

Christopher633

Board footer