You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-31 12:55

Midas

TDE review at LWN.net

There's an article titled "Trinity keeps KDE 3 on life support" at LWN.net that may be of interest to the community here:

The final KDE 3 release was 3.5.10 in August 2008. That final release was followed up in April 2010 by TDE 3.5.11, which brought modest improvements, bug fixes, and made it possible to install TDE alongside KDE 4. The project broke from the 3.5.x versioning with R14.0.0, announced in December 2014. ("R" stands for "release".) One of the highlights of that release was an upgrade to TDE's fork of Qt 3, TQt3, which added multi-threading support. Since then, the project has not had another major release, but has continued with incremental updates with bug fixes, small feature enhancements, and work to keep the desktop up-to-date with mainstream Linux distribution releases.

https://lwn.net/Articles/973130/

#2 2024-06-03 09:19

seb3773

Re: TDE review at LWN.net

The review is at least "honest," but I have to disagree on some points, especially this one:

"TDE's System Settings application is outdated in some areas, or missing functionality entirely. [...] Some of the applications need modernization or replacement to be useful in 2024."

I have learned to be very careful with terms like "need modernization" and "outdated." Old doesn't mean "outdated." Do you think nano or vim are outdated? These are standard command-line editors; they are "old," and I don't think their code has changed radically in ten or twenty years, but who cares? They do the job, and they do it well. Do they need modernization? This is highly debatable.

In my opinion (and I know this is subjective!), the KDE 3.x series was one of the finest, most aesthetically pleasing, and most stable desktop environments in the *nix world, and Trinity DE is clearly a gem. It runs extremely fast and is fully featured. You can adjust everything. The speed with Trinity is amazing for how fully featured it is. It outperforms any other full DE in terms of performance and supports more features than most of them.

Something I noted in the comments:
"There are a lot of people (my wife included) with memory impairment. When the typical 'time to learn some new fancy UI' exceeds the 'lifetime of fancy UI before CADT replaces it with something new,' it makes life hell for you and those around you!"
THIS. Although not memory impaired, I hate change for change's sake. I want an interface that does the job and does it well. I don't want fancy things. A lot of people I know tend to think the same way. Maybe it's because we're aging? But it's a fact.

In the end, I think Trinity deserves much more love than it gets now. Just my opinion, though wink

My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#3 2024-06-03 12:51

Midas

@seb3773: Good points, IMHO. Couldn't agree more with the bit on "change for change's sake" -- "if it works, don't fix it" and "the user knows best" are some of my personal mottos...

#4 2024-08-10 19:46

crosscourt
Website

Most of the articles and videos on Q4OS TDE have been quite good.  There are many video reviews on Youtube that positively promote Q4OS TDE and Q4OS in general.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.5 KDE   HP Elitedesk 705 G4 Mini - Ryzen 5 2400g, 16gb ddr4, 1tb m.2 nvme ssd

Board footer