You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-20 17:52

Russell_T
Website

plymouth is working but...

I tried to configure plymouth to display the bootsceen I wanted to use, nothing worked until I added the "quiet splash" argument where there was the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" setting in the "/etc/default/grub" file

Now it works fine

I want to ask the Q4OS team to include the quiet splash argument in the "/etc/default/grub" file so that we can all use a bootscreen.

And why doesn't Q4OS come with plymouth enabled by default?

I'm a animal!

#2 2023-12-21 07:46

bin

Re: plymouth is working but...

Russell_T wrote:

And why doesn't Q4OS come with plymouth enabled by default?

...because TDE is supposed to be light, because hardware compatibility issues with older machines can cause problems with plymouth, because it just adds extra layers of pain when people report that their system won't boot/is slow to boot/shutdown, because not everyone wants pointless eye-candy rammed down their throat..... to name but a few.

#3 2023-12-21 08:11

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@bin
Yes, exactly.

#4 2023-12-21 20:33

dodogames

Also i do not recommend attempting to use plymouth here. If you're using Q4OS windows installer version then it can kind of make the unmount drives impossible, i had this issue before and nowadays i just manually shutdown/reboot using the terminal instead of the power options from DEs.

This is just my experience and if it works for you somehow then have fun with it. It's better to just stick to the logs of which services has been loaded than choosing a boot screen theme that hides the important information (even tho, you can press "ESC" to get into the logs if possible). If you're doing this on a old hardware then good luck with perhaps slowdowns however

Last edited by dodogames (2023-12-21 21:02)

#5 2023-12-24 03:27

Russell_T
Website

Ok, but my hardware isn't old and plymouth works fine.

I'm a animal!

Board footer