You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-28 20:46

GNU2Linux

Question about downloading and installing Linux apps for Q4OS.

I'm new to Linux and still trying to get a handle on the myriad ways to install apps on Q4OS. Aside from the apps that came with a full install of Q4OS and those few dozen available on the Software Centre plus the thousands available via the Synaptic Package Manager that is. Other apps not available from those obvious sources like my paid VPN service which has a Linux version and a bunch of popular utilities I already use with Windows that conveniently have Linux versions- what's the best way to download and install those? 

1- If I want to download and install an app that isn't in the two above sources can I download the Debian version from the source if it exists since Q4OS is based on Debian?

2- If there is no Debian version specifically but just a version of the app marked as "Linux" can I just try to install that directly via whatever instructions are provided online?

3- If flatpak web site an option? Someone recommended it to me but they don't list Q4OS specifically out of the 36 distros they supposedly support, so can I sign up there as if I was using Debian?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 2023-06-29 10:15

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Question about downloading and installing Linux apps for Q4OS.

GNU2Linux wrote:

1- If I want to download and install an app that isn't in the two above sources can I download the Debian version from the source if it exists since Q4OS is based on Debian?

Yes, what works on Debian will work on Q4OS, however the risks of using any external applications apply equally to Debian and Q4OS.

GNU2Linux wrote:

2- If there is no Debian version specifically but just a version of the app marked as "Linux" can I just try to install that directly via whatever instructions are provided online?

We don't recommend to install any application not designated for Debian.

GNU2Linux wrote:

3- If flatpak web site an option? Someone recommended it to me but they don't list Q4OS specifically out of the 36 distros they supposedly support, so can I sign up there as if I was using Debian?

Yes, Q4OS, along with Debian, supports Flatpak.

Board footer