You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-14 02:49

wove

Long time oddities

I use Kontact-TDE on both the Pinebook Pro and on the Raspberry Pi. Whenever I select "Leave" then "Shutdown" in Trinity with Kontact open, shutdown is blocked because TDE pops up a crash handler telling me that Kontact has unexpectedly quit.

Now oddly when using Kontact on Kubuntu 18.04 the same thing happens. Shutting down while the KDE LTS version of Kontact is open causes a crash handler box to open up informing me that Kontact has unexpectedly quit.

I just find it amusing that this bug existed in KDE 3.5 and continues to exist in KDE 5.12, which means it has been around for 10 years and not been fixed. Well maybe it is not a bug, but for me Kontact is the only KDE application that pops up that crash handler on shutdown. Is it fixed in the newly released LTS (5.18)?

I am a big fan of KDE. It is feature rich and has wonderful integration among core components that allows for a very productive workflow. But it also seems to have a fair share of jarring niggly annoyances that just take forever to get sorted out.

bill

#2 2020-04-14 20:47

crosscourt
Website

Re: Long time oddities

I cant speak to TDE as I dont use it but I do run a lot of KDE distros both Ubuntu and Debian based and have not experienced the Kontact issur you describe. The oldest KDE version Im running presently is 5.14.5 and most of the other distros are using 5.18.3 or.4 versions.
I also tend to close any open programs before i shut down but I dont do that all the time. Presently running Kubuntu 20.04 with no issues.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2020-04-16 02:51

wove

Re: Long time oddities

I move to LTS versions a number of years back. My newest version of KDE was 5.12.x which is a LTS version and part of Kubuntu 18.04. I do not enable the Backports PPA. Kubuntu 20.04 is out in a couple weeks and comes with KDE 5.18, which is also an LTS version. I would have checked it out, but most likely I would not have upgraded.

My Thinkpad X220's power management gave up the ghost, which from what I can tell is a motherboard problem. I replaced it with a Pinebook Pro, which at the time I assumed was simply a Pinebook, with a metal case, better keyboard, mouse and camera. My bad, it is actually a very different beast.

Q4OS has a testing image for the Pinebook Pro which runs fairly well. Q4OS did a really wonderful job on creating an OS for the Raspberry Pi, which gives me hope they will do the same for the Pinebook Pro. I am new to the Trinity Desktop and find it very nice to use. It behaves well with gtk applications I have installed. It is fast and just sips RAM (currently using just 700MB with a half dozen applications open).

In an odd aside I have an original Lenovo Yoga Book with Android, but has an Intel Atom processor. So my Android tablet runs on Intel, while my desktop and laptop run on ARM.

bill

Board footer