You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-12 13:28

Tolkem

Install VMware on Gemini; installation failed.

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice and healthy 2020! smile

I recently install Q4OS 4 Gemini and today wanted to install wmware 15.5 and it failed. I'm attaching the vmware-install.log so you can take a look at it. I know Gemini is based on Testing/Bullseye and totally understand if that's the reason it failed, IMO it has something to do with python version in Bullseye, might be wrong tho since I'm not very python knowledgeable.

Thanks in advance! smile

Attachments:
vmware_install_log, Size: 20.6 KiB, Downloads: 421

#2 2020-05-30 17:17

Severus

Re: Install VMware on Gemini; installation failed.

Didn't know vmware could be installed on linux, I'll have to check that out.
What you need to know, and its kind of the same problem you face with software-common-properties' apt-add-repository.
Which is that stable repos and testing repos cannot be interchanged, it will work with only one of them.
You may simply have picked the wrong one.
There's no hydrid solution possible either.
Obviously you need to make sure your source is compatible with both stable and testing and not sid or older releases which is to say that your vwmare source uses the right distro code name.

It is, what it is.

#3 2020-06-04 19:59

Tolkem

Re: Install VMware on Gemini; installation failed.

Didn't know vmware could be installed on linux, I'll have to check that out.

Well, yes it is possible to install vmware on Linux, with some limited features, though.

What you need to know, and its kind of the same problem you face with software-common-properties' apt-add-repository.

I didn't have to add any repo/PPA, I downloaded the vmware installer file from its website and ran it from the terminal as per the instructions.

Obviously you need to make sure your source is compatible with both stable and testing and not sid or older releases which is to say that your vwmare source uses the right distro code name.

Yes, I guess that might be the root cause. However, I couldn't investigate the issue any further since out of the blue Gemini wouldn't boot. I don't know why it happened but after a reboot I got "no bootable device" and couldn't do anything. I booted a live USB and ran fsck but it reported no errors, so I just moved on and reinstalled Centaurus which is running just great and haven't had a single issue so far. smile Maybe I try the new snapshop/release which I already downloaded but haven't tried yet.

Board footer