You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-30 03:51

Kramer

Adding samba server through "Add a Network Folder" doesn't work

Hi,

I see that under 'My Network Places' there is a tool to add SSH/FTP/Samba servers. When I try to add a samba server that way, it never works, it just says it couldn't connect. So I see this is actually running a program called knetattach. Running knetattach from a terminal reveals the following error:

ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
tdelauncher said: Unknown protocol 'smb'.

So is this a broken tool? It would be convenient to be able to use this instead of the manual command line way.

#2 2020-03-30 09:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Adding samba server through "Add a Network Folder" doesn't work

We are not able to reproduce the issue, "knetattach" executes here. Please provide a brief info about your system. Have you installed samba ?

#3 2020-03-30 11:10

Tomsonas
Website

This tutorial worked for me: https://youtu.be/oRHSrnQueak

Just install samba, nautilus and nautilus-share

#4 2020-03-31 05:10

Kramer

I do have samba installed, and can connect to a samba server with this command:

"sudo mount -t cifs -o username=myusername,password=mypass //ip-address/folder /mnt/mynetworkdrive"

However the issue with knetattach persists.
I installed q4os using the trinity install cd option. After that I installed xpq4. Thats about it. I am happy to provide any specific info.

Also, Konqueror web browser gives the exact same error ("protocol not supported smb") when I try smb:// addresses, but as far as I know, Konqueror should support that.

Its not a huge issue, but its just strange. Knetattach works for ssh, and everything but samba shares neutral

#5 2020-05-28 16:54

Viking

I have the opposite problem.  Using Konqueror I have no problem accessing network PDF shares on another computer but image files not.   Ocular comes up with "Could not open smb://sharecomputer/user/Desktop/sharefile.jpg. Reason: Unable to create io-slave.   klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'smb'."   Gwenview, on the other hand, shows the first file in the folder regardless.    OpenOffice files can't be opened either but can be if saved to Q4os first.   Problem then is saying it can't find the remote folder to save back to.   I would love to continue with Q4os which is SO incredibly fast on my VERY old IBM ThinkPad 32-bit R50e which has 1.4GB processor and 1.5GB RAM and is so old it doesn't even have a "Windows" key on it.   What it does have is a beautifully sharp screen.   Shame really, as I thought I had found the ideal OS to resurrect this old machine.   Just shows you can't have everything in this life!

#6 2020-05-29 05:26

bin

I used to use smb4k in a standard windows network with great success.

There is a Trinity package -sorry I've nothing to test that on these days but it may help.

#7 2020-05-29 12:00

Viking

Thanks.  Tried that - no difference

Board footer