You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-31 06:06

Seaken64

Hello from new Q4OS user

Hello Q4OS forum, I've just joined the forum and am a new Q4OS user. I couldn't find a new user area so I started this here in General Discussion.

I've lurked here for a couple of months. You've got a nice forum.

I've been trying Q4OS TDE on a couple of old office PC computers I have in my lab at home. I'm a computer hobbiest and have many old computers. Q4OS is one of the few that I have been able to run reasonably well on an old P-III 1.0 Ghz w/ 512MB RAM. I also have a few other distros on other partitions on this machine (I'm using this old PC right now to post this using Q4OS TDE and SeaMonkey). I've been using antiX a lot over the last couple of years. I also have Debian 9 XFCE installed. Since Q4OS is based on Debian I decided to give it a try. I am most comfortable with the Debian family (after starting out with Slackware and Red Hat few years ago).

Q4OS is running fairly well on this old machine. The memory used at startup is about 120MB. Right now I have Audacious playing internet radio and have SeaMonkey open with one or two tabs, with NoScript installed. The memory used is about 250MB in "free". It's not snappy, but it's usable. Given that this old computer is so limited it's pretty amazing that I can use if for browsing on the internet. And of course it runs office apps. (This machine used to be one of my main workstations in my office, running Windows 2000 and XPSP2).

One of my ongoing projects has been to keep this old boy breathing for as long as I can. I am curious to see how long it can continue to be viable. Of course, I wouldn't use this as my daily driver unless I absolutely had to. But it's a fun exercise and very historical. Q4OS has now joined the few other Linux distros in this project. I also wanted to see how the TDE desktop was going to work. I used KDE for awhile in Red Hat and SuSE many years ago. I abandoned it when it got to version 4. I have been so used to Xfce and IceWM in recent years I have forgotten how to get around in the old KDE. But it is nice to be learning it again. Very familiar.

Thank you for a great distro. Hopefully I can contribute in the future for anyone else interested in bringing life back to old computers.

Seaken64

#2 2020-02-04 15:10

DavidB
Website

Re: Hello from new Q4OS user

Welcome to the community!  I'm an admire of older computers, too.  I still use my Commodore 64 and 128 regularly.  My main PC is a Lenovo T61 laptop, from 2007.  It's still going strong and does everything I need it to do, running Q4OS and a TDE desktop.  Up until a couple months ago, I'd still be using my Acer Aspire One, but the small screen was getting too tiring on my old eyes.  smile

Last edited by DavidB (2020-02-04 15:12)

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#3 2020-02-28 04:00

Seaken64

Thanks David.

When I was in Junior High I used a PET in computer class and I always wanted a C64. But I was never able to get one. Years passed and my first computer ended up being a cast-off NorthStar Advantage. Then I bought a PC Clone, a Tandy 1400FD. Ended up in the DOS/Windows world for years. Then one day I found a C64 in a garage sale and I bought it. But it had no software. I still have it but I don't use it. I also wanted a C128 because of C/PM, but I never got one of those either. Maybe I will get back to the Commodore world one day.

I also had several Thinkpads over the years. My last TP was a Lenovo R61i. I still use it. It runs MX-19.1.

I rarely use my netbook. I keep it in a portfolio I take with me on the road. Yeah, the screen is too small. But I think I will be pulling it out soon to install Q4OS on it.

I just installed Q4OS Centauri Plasma on a Gateway MT6728 laptop that I am using to explore various Debian distros. It is running quite well. Dual Core Pentium 1.6Ghz 2GB Ram. I'm using it now on the forum.

Seaken64

#4 2020-02-28 04:07

Seaken64

Can someone tell me how to edit a post?

Thanks,
Seaken64

#5 2020-02-28 14:03

wove

When you log in and navigate to a post you have written you will see a blue edit button at the bottom right of your post. Click on it and you will be able to edit the post.

Bill

Board footer