Re: WINE for trinity

Hello

First, run
sudo apt update
sudo apt install wine
to install wine.
then, type
winecfg in the terminal.
This creates a wineprefix, which is a sort of virtual directory. After a few seconds, a window should appear to configure the wineprefix. Choose the version of Windows that matches your program and apply it. The installation is complete, all you have to do is right-click on the installer of your Windows software in Dolphin and run it with wine to install it.

I hope this could help you

A little link

#3 2023-12-27 12:25

Testyyy

Oh sorry I forgot, the link at the end is in French, but maybe you can translate it with your browser if you need it.

#4 2023-12-28 13:52

bin

For a more flexible WINE system I suggest you add the i386 repositories

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
sudo apt install wine wine32 wine64 fonts-wine

will give you the lot.
TBH I find that I have not yet need wine64 and do not bother installing it.

What you can do - if you use several windows progs - is to create a different prefix for each one. It just means that you'll have a number of different windows "machines" each in its own folder as mentioned above.

So, to start with

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.photoshop winecfg

Will create a 32bit WINE prefix in a folder .photoshop and launch winecfg for fine tuning.

To install you would then do

WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.photoshop wine /home/user/path-to-installer-file

(note if the installer contains space in the name then the path needs to be in "" e.g. "/home/user/path to installer file"

There are various GUI frontends for all this - but if you learn using CLI then it's no bad thing.

#5 2023-12-28 16:46

Rademes

Thank you, bin, for explanation how to start using wine. I was trying to work with wine in the past, but I was unable to figure out, how to start it properly. At the end of unsuccessful attempts, I have switched to Crossover. The bad thing is - Crossover is not free. It costs 64$ per license...
Currently I want to play Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 using wine. Very old games. Fallout 1 was made for Windows 98!

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#6 2023-12-29 20:20

Midas

My thanks too, bin, I intend to follow your Wine instructions ASAP -- my experience is similar to Rademes', barring the Crossover usage.

Incidentally, Fallout 4 is played in a PS4 by the juniors around here: helluva game, sprawling open world, loads of fun, even as mere watcher...

#7 2023-12-30 07:29

bin

Just a couple of extra thoughts. I know that some progs do need extra libraries installing and of course that's where winetricks comes in.

With winetricks installed the same process applies in making sure you are working with the prefix that needs them.

e.g.

WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.photoshop winetricks msm3xl.dll

or

WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.msoffice winetricks spellcheck.dll

This is one area where PlayOnLinux can be useful as it does provide a GUI to look at the list of available extras.
It is important to make sure that you have picked the correct prefix when using POL.

To a large extent this is all that is happening with Crossover - which I've used at work and at home since 2011 on MAC and PC and it does a good job. The cost is in developing the tools to put all the manual tweaking and extra libraries and stuff into a consistent GUI based framework. Renewing the subscription is only 50% of the full price. This year it was GBP27.00 which is about USD35.00. I reckon that's good value if you are a big user of Windows stuff.

#8 2023-12-30 15:00

Testyyy

I didn't know what winetricks was for, thank you for this clarification

#9 2023-12-31 07:25

bin

Just another quick thought.

If you use XFCE then you can run into problems with the creation of the desktop launcher.

There is a bug in Thunar file manager 4.18 which does not parse the link information correctly when creating the .desktop file.

To fix it you have to edit the command in the launcher. Copy the .desktop file to a different location as a backup. In the command entry, where you find \\\\ reduce to \\ and where you find \\ reduce to \ and all will be well.

Under TDE I have run into some issues with a couple of windows progs where they do not minimise/maximise properly, or indeed where just moving the window can cause it to crash.

If you do get these sorts of glitches then run winecgf for the relevant prefix and change the window manager controls on the graphics tab. You may need a bit of trial and error either or both may need to be disabled.

Board footer