You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-03 19:01

compi

Can't install grub

I installed Q4OS 3.12 32-bit on a T42. I wached carefully to be able to tell the installer where to install grub. I had the Air-Boot bootmanager and two other OS's on the disk. Therefore I wanted to have grub  on the root partition. Unfortunately I wasn't asked by the installer and now grub is on the MBR and Air-Boot is gone.
As a next step I wanted to install grub on my root partiton (#8) so I did this:

root@q4os-desktop:/home/compi# grub-install /dev/sda8
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
root@q4os-desktop:/home/compi#

First, I installed ext4 and not ext2
How can I have grub in the root partition? The Bootable Flag of this partition I have set on.

compi

#2 2020-12-04 09:40

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Can't install grub

You need to install Grub into the block device, so "/dev/sda", not a partition "/dev/sda8", see for example https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … m-isnt-emb

#3 2020-12-04 12:16

compi

I did as you suggested and it worked. I could not reinstall my boot manager. I had first to , rewrite the LVM signature and the drive letter of my first (primary) partition. After that I was able to install Air-Boot. I can select all my old systems and they boot, but not Q4OS. It says “Boot load error!”. Obviously grub is not where it should be.
I installed once Ubuntu 18.04 on another PC and there I could install grub in the root partition and it workes with the boot manager. Is there no way to install grub on the root partition?

#4 2020-12-08 17:08

compi

The installer of Q4OS does not offer an option to install grub in the root partition. I found an installer where you can choose this: Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit non pae. You can download a mini.iso, burn it and install with a fast internet connection.

Problem solved

Board footer