You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-09 23:06

lc6529

New User - Desktop Icons

Greetings,

I literally just discovered and installed Q4OS for the first time after working with Linux Mint for a year.

I installed it on an older Toshiba Laptop and all is good except I cannot figure out how to get desktop icons (My Computer, Folders, etc) to appear
on the desktop.

Can anyone help a newbie out?

#2 2020-05-10 01:20

voroshilov

Re: New User - Desktop Icons

same problem. In my case, how you can see the partitions (C:; D:), something similar to the windows explorer

#3 2020-05-10 04:24

Shnerdly

Re: New User - Desktop Icons

Hi guys

I'm new to Q4OS as well but have been around Linux in general for a few years.

I don't know what desktop environment your using, I'm using Trinity so I can only tell you what I have found there.

For the desktop icons, I just right click on the desktop and go to "Configure Desktop". Just work your way through the various sections and tabs. You should be able to get what you need there.

As far as "Windows Explorer" goes, Linux doesn't use drive letters like Microsoft does. Each partition on each drive has a designation in /dev but sometimes they can change so you use the UUID to mount the drives to wherever you want them. I use /etc/fstab to permanently mount the drives and partitions. I guess if you really wanted to, you could make directories on the root drive like C and D but I think that just confuses things. It's better to try to get used to how Linux works. Then things just get easier as you go.

I just keep the root partition as it is and add my additional drives or partitions to /mnt. I'm sure the details of mounting drives and partitions is covered elsewhere on the forum.

To get Konqueror to sorta look like Window Explorer, use the buttons at the top to get it to look the way you want and go to "Settings" > "Configure Konqueror". Again, go through the sections and tabs to make it what you want.

I hope this was helpful.

Board footer