You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-01 19:51

Shnerdly

How do I login as root in terminal?

Hi Guys

I've been around Linux versions for a number of years. I've run various servers and desktops with Gentoo, Centos, Arch and Debian. I setteled in on Debian a few years ago. That's what my current webservers run and that is what attracted me to Q4OS, that it is Debian based. I'm not an Ubuntu fan.

I am not a strong typer so when I work in a terminal, I prefer to login as root, do my thing and log back out instead of typing sudo all the time.

I found one post that said to type su, the the password but I don't know the password. It's not the same as mine in the Trinity GUI.

I want to give Q4OS a good try because it can be configured in the GUI to work mostly like XP. I want to get my wifes machine on it but I first need to decide if I am going to be able to do the thing I want to do in it. My wife and I both really dislike Win10.

I dont expect it will matter but my current HW configuration is a Dell Precision M6500 - i7 quad core with Hyperthreading so it runs 8 threads. I has 8gb RAM and a 256 gig ssd. The thing is huge and very clunky to haul around but it's really fast.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 2020-05-01 23:50

Dai_trying

Re: How do I login as root in terminal?

If you want to "become root" as a normal user I think the advised method is to use

sudo -i

That's what I use and I keep the root account disabled, although I'm not really sure if it is the best method from a security perspective it's just a habit I picked up somewhere along my Linux learning experience.

#3 2020-05-02 13:57

Shnerdly

OK, Thanks Dai_trying, I'll give it a try.

I did find a way to get logged in to a console as root. I used the SU Terminal to set a root PW. Now I can just Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log in.

I don't generally find any issue with using root. I run 2 webservers and both only have root and no GUI. One is on a local machine here, the other is on a colo machine at a hosting company here in MN. I just use ssh to access them.

On this machine though, I don't mind not being root. Once it's all setup, there's no need to be root.

#4 2020-05-02 14:02

Shnerdly

I tried sudo -i and it works great from the GUI Terminal. We'll see if I can remember to do that. I'm used to going to a console not in the GUI.

#5 2020-05-02 15:16

Dai_trying

You're welcome smile

Board footer