You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-27 05:28

DoctorDan

Problem following upgrade instructions

Hello,
I had an older version (bullseye)  installed on my T40
I tried to follow the procedure but apparenly created dduplicate lines in at least one of the files.
When I ran the apt full-upgrade command it complained and listed the errors but I had yet to connect a mouse and had trouble dealing with them.

When I tried the full-upgrade again it spit out 4 lines about files already existing but refused to actually start the upgrade.

I'm baffeled and alot of web searching didn't find anything useful.

Can anyone explain what happened and how to fix it - short of doing a fresh install?

Thank you

#2 2023-09-27 07:45

hchiper

Re: Problem following upgrade instructions

Please give a detailed and precise description of the commands you have issued and of the error messages.
Explain also what is "apparenly created dduplicate lines in at least one of the files" (which duplicate lines? which files?)

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#3 2023-09-27 08:51

DoctorDan

Thanks for your reply. I know I was vague about the details but the error message appeared in the console and, as far as I know, was not recoverable. Anyway,  I concluded that it was hopeless and just spent the past several hours doing a fresh install. So,  unless someone else has the same issue and had more details,  I guess it will remain an unknown.

Perhaps if the upgrade guide has simply listed the edits that were needed in the 3 fils,  instead of saying the the files should match the examples, I mightnot have done whatever it was that I did. There was so much  ruft in the files that I probably missed commenting a line somewhere.

#4 2023-09-27 08:57

DoctorDan

I've done these things many times on the raspberry pi.  Their instructions usually just say to replace all bullseye with bookworm

#5 2023-09-27 14:04

hchiper

For Q4OS, q4osteam has recommended several times to make a fresh re-install to switch from one version to another one, rather than to edit configuration files and make an upgrade. If you are interested in deeper explanations, you can find threads on this forum (search e.g. "upgrade+gemini+aquarius"). There is even a tutorial on how to make an upgrade, but not simple.
If you have edited some configuration files and tried to upgrade, this is likely the cause of the errors you've encountered.
If you want to keep your system up to date (but no upgrade from one major version to the next one), consider installing Update Manager from the Software Centre.

Raspberry Pi OS is a different Debian-based distribution. Instructions valid for one distribution are generally not valid for another one. Be careful.

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

Board footer