You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-14 07:29

NewToQ4

No Boot after running desktop profiler

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to revive a Toshiba NB100 Netbook. Original OS XP. I installed Q4 From usb and every thing was working with the intermediate install. I went to install the falkon browser and it said that I needed to run the desktop profiler first which I did. Installed Falkon browser and tested it and everything was fine. I shut it down and thought I would restart it to see if it booted any slower. Would not boot " error attempt to read or write outside hdo" and "end kernel panic-not syncing: unable to mount rootfs on unknown block (0,0)". The other issue that I noticed when I first tested it was that it would say that it was charging (I let it fully charge) Shut it down and restart it and it would say that the battery had 0 charge. Very disappointing as it look like a great little OS. Not sure what to do from here so I was hoping someone may have experienced this before and has a solution.

#2 2023-09-14 09:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: No Boot after running desktop profiler

What desktop profile did you apply ? Are you running 32bit Q4OS ?

NewToQ4 wrote:

Would not boot " error attempt to read or write outside hdo" ...

It looks more like a hardware issue.

#3 2023-09-14 11:07

Rademes

Is it your topic in Debian forum?
https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=154490

The bad thing, your Atom N270 CPU does not supports x64 technology (x86-64). So, you will have problems with hardware/software. Also, a lot of Linux distros have dropped 32-bit support. Also, your netbook is very old - 03/01/2008 release date...so I am not surprised, that new Linux does not work on it. It is just too old, and Linux developers can not support all hardware. It is physically impossible. Sorry, but I would suggest you not to waste your time on it and get it to utilization.

Last edited by Rademes (2023-09-14 11:20)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#4 2023-09-14 22:00

NewToQ4

Hi Thanks for the replies, I realize That it is a really old net book and that the specs are not the best. I used the i386 installer with Trinity desktop, compatibility mode in the bios. The weird thing is that it worked fine until I run the desktop profiler which I think has removed something or changed a setting and Grub can't find the root file system. I think HD0 = dev/sda1 and the unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0) would be an address on that partition. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I think it's a grub issue. How to figure that out is way beyond my skill level. I was just trying to give it new life and hand it on to one of my nieces kids to use. I guess I could always put XP back on it.

#5 2023-09-14 22:32

NewToQ4

Hi Rademes, Sorry I didn't notice the link until after I posted the reply. Yes that was me and it did work for a while and then reverted back to the same issue. I got frustrated and gave up trying to get something to run on it. The guy that I was trying to fix it to give to has now got another job and is getting his life back on track which is good. I found it in the box of old laptops last week and thought that I would have another go at getting it to work. I pretty sure its a GRUB and HDD partition issue, just don't know how to fix it.

Board footer