You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-07 22:48

doge_guide

No .deb packages run that I install

I cannot run any .deb packages without them crashing on first start after "installation" then nothing ever happens again after that and you may be wondering why I am not using the software center and that's because I have no WIFI so I have to wait for my birthday *or Christmas* to get a USB WIFI adapter. but I'm wondering if I'm installing it wrong or I can have you guys help me troubleshoot it
*I had windows 8 on it but I don't have a product key and this operating system is the only one that works on that pc besides windows 8 that I'm aware of*

information:
Q4OS version:Q4OS Centaurus Trinity 32bit  i386

always willing to help people besides karens <3

#2 2021-08-08 08:15

bin

Re: No .deb packages run that I install

I think it most likely that you are downloading a deb from somewhere and copying it across to your machine - then installing the deb.

Question - how are you installing.

If you are using dpkg then it will just insert the files into the system whether or not there are any dependencies.

To install a deb you should use either gdebi - or simply use sudo apt install ./path_to_local_file/file_name.deb

HOWEVER - that only works if you have a working internet connection for apt to check the dependencies.

Without an internet connection this is very difficult - double so if you are using 32bit as you have to make sure the deb you have downloaded is 32 bit - plus all the dependencies as well.

Look for an Ralink MT7601U Wireless USB Adapter - works fine on Linux. Mine is branded Dynamode I think this is it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNAMODE-WL-70 … O1A2&psc=1

#3 2021-08-15 19:42

altPOCA

Use dpkg -i first then apt install -f, no need for gdebi.

#4 2021-08-16 06:45

bin

altPOCA wrote:

Use dpkg -i first then apt install -f, no need for gdebi.

Why take 2 steps when one will do?

If you use dpkg it just unpacks the deb into the file system.

If you then run apt install -f you thenrun the risk of finding you have an unresolvable dependency issue - especially if the deb has been downloaded from 'somewhere'

Using apt install ./local_package.deb you will get dependency checking and you will know if it CAN be installed.

This - as I said - is doubly important with a 32bit system.

Gdebi is just a GUI way of doing the same thing - some folks are more comfortable with that.

Both depend on having a working internet connection, which the OP states is not present.

So, without that none of the options suggested so far are viable. Hence my providing information about a very very low cost small USB wifi dongle that I know works at least with Debian as that is really the key to their issue.

Board footer