You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-12 21:30

goldbergeliah

Erratic Wireless connection with Realtek RTL8723DE card.

Hi to all.

I have just installed Q4OS on my laptop. Great OS.

Unfortunately I have no wired connection therfore, I only depend on wireless. That's where it gets tricky. First, I installed the related software for my TPLink wireless dongle. Than I managed to install software for the original wifi card of my HP Laptop. Funny thing is that I can get a fast connection with TP Link dongle but when I connect trough Laptop's own wifi (Realted card) the connection is too weak. I always get "run time" error.

My knowledge with Linux is really poor. I don't know which commands I need to use to check the performance of the wifi card and find out the problem.

Laptop: HP 14-bs007la

Wifi Card: Realtek - RTL8723DE

Your helps will be apprecated.

Thanks,
Eli

#2 2020-12-13 21:11

goldbergeliah

Re: Erratic Wireless connection with Realtek RTL8723DE card.

Thanks for really being helpful. As a matter of fact I read some article that with HP laptops there are some antenna options problems. The file that I installed has an option for antenna number 2. Maybe this could be the problem. I would like to uninstall the driver and install the proper one. However the codes with other linux version seems not to be working with Q4OS or simply I could not pull it off. Anyway this is the commands that I install the wifi card:

HP laptop 14-bs007la

sudo apt-get install dkms git build-essential
git clone -b extended https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new
sudo dkms install rtlwifi-new/0.6
sudo cp -r rtlwifi_new/firmware/rtlwifi/ /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/
echo "options rtl8723de ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723de.conf

#3 2020-12-13 22:26

Rademes

Re: Erratic Wireless connection with Realtek RTL8723DE card.

goldbergeliah wrote:

Thanks for really being helpful.

First, it is very difficult to help with hardware related problems, if the helper does not have the same hardware. The only thing helper can do is to point at the direction, where to find the solution.
Second, If nobody answered to your post, that means, helpers currently do not know how to help you, or they do not have time. So please be more patient next time. This is free software. And free means "freedom of speech", but not "free beer".
Nobody here is obliged to solve your problem on the first demand!
Second, keep in mind, that Realtek chips have problems running on Linux. In future, I would suggest you to look for WiFi adapters with Intel, Ralink, Atheros chips. Most of them work well on Linux, but of course there may be exceptions.
Now to your problem. Since you are using Q4OS Centaurus (at least I think that you are using Centaurus because you have not posted your system information), you should know, that it is based on Debian 10 Buster. It is important to know it, because many guides in Internet are written for Ubuntu based Linux distros, but you need guide for Debian 10 Buster. Of course a guide for Ubuntu may not work for Debian (and for Debian based distro).
Also, it is important to make full system backup using Timeshift, before trying to install driver, because if you fail, you should be able to revert your system to the state before installation. Generally, it is always recommended to make system backups. You can install Timeshift from Q4OS Software Centre or get the newest release here. Also, if you have already tried to install a driver and failed, it is better to reinstall the whole system, make system backup using Timeshift, and after that, to try install driver on clean system.
So please do it, and then try this manual for Debian Buster. The only thing is, you should have Linux Kernel 5 for this manual. You can use command uname -a to find your Linux kernel version.
==================================
In case you will not be able to install working driver for your Realtek card, you can buy Alfa AWUS036NH WiFi adapter. I have three of them working great on Linux. Actually, it is one of the best WiFi adapters for Linux.

Last edited by Rademes (2020-12-14 00:05)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

Board footer