You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-10 16:33

Dh48

Gaming with Q4

I installed the OS on my 2005 vintage HP dv-5215us laptop. It has an AMD Turion64 single core CPU, Radeon Xpress 200M graphics, and 2GB of RAM. It works great for browsing and email but has big problems with even 20 year old games. Need For Speed III runs well but only with software rendering. Half-Life will run in OpenGL but lags badly. Need For Speed 4 installs fine but then will not open. I have tried with and without Play on Linux but there is no difference. Things actually are better if I don't use POL but just install with the Wine program loader. Both Need For Speed games say they can not get the HardWareKey value.

Is it just that the computer, especially the graphics card, is too old or is there something I can do?  The graphics have 128mb of discrete memory and can also use another 128mb of system memory for a total of 256mb.

I tried to install Steam but it said the CPU was too old.

#2 2020-06-12 04:46

Dh48

Re: Gaming with Q4

I got NFS4 working by using the Modern patch and not running any type of installer. It works and runs in nglide or d3d. Nglide is much better. NFS3 also seems to be running in glide now or maybe glide translated to OpenGL. I guess all the messing around I did elsewhere with the graphics drivers did something.

It's not even in the .wine folder.

Board footer