You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-18 11:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Windows Q4OS installer

As introduced earlier in developer section, it's now possible to install Q4OS Scorpion testing version, using dedicated Windows installer. The installer will automatically configure a computer as a dual boot system, you will be allowed to switch back and forth between Windows and Q4OS each time you restart your computer.

Installer is available for download from testing releases page https://www.q4os.org/downloads2.html

Installation instructions: https://www.q4os.org/dqa014.html

#2 2017-09-26 08:28

aboutblank

Re: Windows Q4OS installer

I ran into a problem running the dedicated installer (q4os-winsetup.exe), that I'll pass on: 

When I ran the installer, after entering my password twice and proceeding, it almost immediately ended with an error message (can't recall the message exactly, but seem to recall that it was about something being 'broken').  I suspected it was a firewall problem, as mine is set to prompt me to approve all new connections, and the firewall's prompt had popped up at the same time.  I approved the connection, but the install nevertheless failed.  My firewall remembers the connection information, so I started the installer again, but the same thing happened.  I could see from my temp folder, after a few attempts, that each time the firewall prompted me, it was for a different named executable!  As the installer does not have a 'retry' option when the connection fails, I was stuck, as each time I ran the installer, a new name for the executable was used, so my previous permission was meaningless.

To solve the problem, I had to "open" the firewall and keep it open for the several minutes it took to do the complete install.  (I don't like doing this, running 'naked' on the internet(!), but it seemed the only way, and it worked.)

I don't know if you can modify the install process, but if you can, having a 'retry' option would eliminate the problem, as I could approve the connection and then try to resume the install.  In addition, a more accurate error message would be a help.  I've run into this problem before, but programs that fail in this manner usually give a message such as 'unable to connect to the internet', so I immediately know it's a firewall problem.  Your installer gave a message about something being 'broken', but no hint that it was an internet connection problem.

Thanks.

aboutblank
September 26, 2017

#3 2019-12-31 21:19

jairosoft

Dear Q4OS team and all others,
Thanks for such amazing OS and support here.
Call me nutty, but I am going to try Q4OS, hoping to do the unbearable, to get it running on a Toshiba Satellite M45 (PSM40U) laptop from the old days, when we used Windows XP and Office 2003.  I realize all kinds of hurdles to look forward to.  I can't seem to find much help around here for old school Windows XP and associated hardware. I did find on YouTube a Demo install of Xubuntu 13.10 on old Windows XP laptop by Carlos Sanchez at  youtube . com watch?v=WkhMEY3w-fE  but it's not exactly what I want to attempt. I want to try to make it dual boot Windows XP and Q4OS.  I already got a separate un-assigned partition of about 60 Gigabytes, leaving Windows XP with 100 Gigabytes. I wish to dual boot between Windows XP and Q4OS.  I know about EasyBCD but I ran it and it says XP is hopeless, it doesn't find the bootloader.  I was hoping to configure it so Windows boots up with a menu like shown on "How to Dual Boot Windows and Linux. ( The Nontraditional way )" video on YouTube, using EasyBCD to add Linux partition on SDA3, in that case, as shown by
MrGizmo757 in his tutorial.

I'll be working with only 1 GB RAM, but I think for Q4OS, perhaps a not so recent version would work best.  And I did burn an iso and threw in the CD but nothing seemed to happen. I think it was the newer q4os-3.9-i386-instcd.r1.iso 
So now I am going to try the q4os-1.8-i386-instcd.r2.iso on CD and see if I can boot with that.  Wish me luck. I'll report back with some story.

Jairo in Orlando.

#4 2019-12-31 22:19

jairosoft

WHoopie! I installed Q4OS on my Toshiba laptop on a separate partition without harming Windows XP. However I think Grub didn't detect Windows XP, so it skipped it from showing on it's menu, unless it will the next time I reboot.  Or, it could be I have to enter it manually. Anyway, so far so good. Back to the playing with it.

Board footer