You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-06 16:36

fixo

Q4OS with full TDE collection

Some users want to use many of TDE applications which are not in standard installation. Is it possible to release ISO with all TDE packages (tdeutils, etc.)?
This installation is good sulution for offline installation.

#2 2016-12-06 17:32

bin

Re: Q4OS with full TDE collection

Whilst I would not want to speak out of turn, the general philosophy of Q4OS is to provide a base installation that fits on a CD. This rather limits what can be fitted in. There is also the question of what is sauce for the goose may not be sauce for the gander. What you could try doing is to install all *you* want and then use Systemback to create an iso to see how big it can be.

#3 2016-12-06 19:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

In addition to apposite bin's post:
We would like to create a new, lightweight profile for the 'Q4OS Desktop Profiler' with the comprehensive set of TDE applications in the future. So one could easily select this profile to get a complete, lightweight desktop.

#4 2016-12-06 19:52

Dai_trying

I think having a profile to install a "comprehensive set of TDE applications" would be a great idea, that way the iso can remain small and the user will have the option to have a full blown TDE set-up. I prefer to use TDE applications where I can and a full blown TDE profile will give me a lot more space/resource saving applications at my disposal. smile

#5 2016-12-07 07:43

bin

This question has popped up before - I think - obviously fixo is referring to a specific need for a large local install where net access may be poor or very slow. I'd imagine a full install of all Trinity components would rather swell the iso size. There is also the sad fact that some of the TDE apps are not as good as their later counterparts or GTK alternatives.
The first step - for anyone brave enough - would be to identify what constitutes the suggested set smile smile smile

#6 2016-12-07 08:21

fixo

Bin you are right. Or create next type of ISO with full Trinity apps. Many people have poor internet connection or want to install all these apps from CD/DVD. Some type apps is missing in standard installation and this possible solution.

#7 2016-12-07 08:38

bin

I appreciate and understand the issues. However, there will always be a need for some parts to be downloaded, language files, dependencies etc. Trying to create a basis where it is possible to do a hybrid install part local part internet when the connection is bad or not present can result in a broken update system with part installed apps and so on.
Dependencies within the Q4OS/Trinity apps are fortunately pretty static as it is based on Trinity TDE.
However external dependencies can alter. So, do you then have to keep on updating image files of do you install a bigger static base which gradually requires longer and longer catch up after install? For example - try installing an Ubuntu 12.04.05 distribution and watch upgrades - and that is the final refresh!

As the developers have indicated above there is a willingness to look at your suggestion in a supportable way.

May I suggest you start the ball rolling by suggesting the packages you feel are missing?

#8 2016-12-07 10:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@bin
Thank you for the complete explanation.

#9 2016-12-07 12:22

Dai_trying

Also there is the option to create your own iso file for installing the apps you would like and can be found in this post although if you are not yet familiar with linux and the command-line it could be a little daunting, but certainly will allow you to add any applications to your own iso file.

#10 2016-12-14 18:21

Rademes

bin wrote:

As the developers have indicated above there is a willingness to look at your suggestion in a supportable way.
May I suggest you start the ball rolling by suggesting the packages you feel are missing?

Can I start?
Currently I am missing K3B-Trinity, because sometimes I need to burn DVD-s with downloaded drivers on PC`s without OS or broken OS. So I need to download and burn DVD-s using Live system. Sometimes I have to download and burn full ISO images using Live system.
Second, I am missing inxi package, because I always need correct information about client`s hardware prior downloading drivers and installing new OS. Built in Hardware device manager sometimes displays incorrect information, so I do not trust him.
Third, I am missing Network Manager from Q4OS Software centre, because with default TDE network manager I had problems with my WiFi adapters. Yes, yes I know that it is a hardware related issue, but still for me it is uncomfortable to use TDE network manager.
Next, md5deep package would be also very useful, because I always create checksum files before burning DVD-s, and always verify burned data.
Finally, I would be VERY happy, if Clonezilla would be added too.
If it is impossible to add all of requested packages please add at least K3B-Trinity and inxi.

Dai_trying wrote:

Also there is the option to create your own iso file for installing the apps you would like and can be found in this post although if you are not yet familiar with linux and the command-line it could be a little daunting, but certainly will allow you to add any applications to your own iso file.

Unfortunately, it is too difficult for me... I am not so familiar with command-line.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-12-14 18:28)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#11 2016-12-14 20:13

Dai_trying

Unless I have missed something the dev's are looking into adding a trinity set to the desktop profiler so users can install a more complete set of TDE applications, so they will not be available on the default iso.

@Rademes
If you want a live-cd with k3b-trinity and whatever else you like I can give you more exact instructions to do this. Let me know smile

#12 2016-12-14 20:46

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

... the dev's are looking into adding a trinity set to the desktop profiler so users can install a more complete set of TDE applications, so they will not be available on the default iso.

Yes, exactly written.

#13 2019-03-11 11:00

kellogs

bin wrote:

Whilst I would not want to speak out of turn, the general philosophy of Q4OS is to provide a base installation that fits on a CD.

Speaking of fitting on a CD, it looks like the KDE live CD has gone a bit too large to fit on most CDs at 818 MB

Board footer