You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-26 11:05

cpcnw
Website

Yet Another Menu Question

Hi

Just done a recent install which went flawlessly btw. I then installed Softmaker Free Office. It works fine but there are a couple of minor issues I would like to resolve.

1) The Menu entries have missing icons... although I would like to edit the text of the item as well

snapshot3.png

2) The font face on the menu of the office app itself... is there a way to influence / change that?

snapshot4.png

Thanks a mill!

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

#2 2019-10-26 14:16

Dai_trying

Re: Yet Another Menu Question

I would imagine the menu entries are created by using .desktop files, I would search them out (I use locate <package> | grep .desktop ) and then check if they have an icon set. for example I have libreofice-writer installed and it has a desktop file /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop and in that there is a line Icon=libreoffice-writer this can be changed to whatever icon you want. And the name can be modified by editing the Name=LibreOffice Writer line (for my example case, but I think you will get it).

Wrt menu font I cannot offer any advice on that sorry...

#3 2019-10-26 16:17

cpcnw
Website

Oddly with me hunting around trying to find the relevant files the stock free office icons have now appeared on the menu. I have no idea how that happened because I didn't do anything - just looked. Thing is when clicked they don't do anything. Where as the desktop shortcuts I created work fine.

I would still like to know where they actually exist and how to edit the names etc

One the non tde app menus I tried adding a .gtkrc-2.0 to my home directory and edit > gtk-font-name="Tahoma 8"

Made no difference though lol!

Last edited by cpcnw (2019-10-26 16:19)

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

#4 2019-10-26 17:40

Dai_trying

The .desktop files are located in /usr/share/applications/ and are planmaker-free18.desktop, presentations-free18.desktop and textmaker-free18.desktop
and you will need to edit the Name (FreeOffice 2018 PlanMaker) and GenericName (Spreadsheet) fields for the complete menu entry.

#5 2019-10-26 17:47

cpcnw
Website

Sorry, not here they aren't! Nothing even remotely close to those names exist in that folder sad

#6 2019-10-26 17:57

Dai_trying

How did you install it?

I installed in a VM to Q4OS 3.9 the deb file softmaker-freeoffice-2018_971-01_amd64.deb using the command

sudo apt install ./softmaker-freeoffice-2018_971-01_amd64.deb

and it placed the .desktop files there by default.

EDIT:
There are also .desktop files in /opt/trinity/share/applications/

Last edited by Dai_trying (2019-10-26 18:00)

#7 2019-10-26 19:28

cpcnw
Website

I unzipped the tar ball and ran their installer. I also looked in /opt/trinity/share/applications/tde to no avail.

I might uninstall and run as above the .deb

#8 2019-10-26 19:49

cpcnw
Website

Before I did that I looked through the office folder and found /mime which did contain .desktop files - which of course referenced the icon, path and description etc - because of that I realised that renaming the shell scripts that starts the apps would break things. I have now reverted everything back and the programs do indeed launch. So, my fault I guess but your suggestions led me to that conclusion so thanks for that. Maybe I will try not being such a control freak...

That said altering the .desktop files there didnt work so the 'live' ones must be somewhere else?

From the uninstaller script;

sh /usr/bin/xdg-mime uninstall  --mode user  --novendor /home/sysadmin/Programs/Office/mime/softmaker-freeoffice18.xml
echo Removing icons from the menu...
sh /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu uninstall --noupdate --novendor --mode  user  /home/sysadmin/Programs/Office/mime/textmaker-free18.desktop

So if I knew where 'sh $XDGPATH/xdg-mime install' actually copied those files over to then I might be getting warmer...

Last edited by cpcnw (2019-10-26 20:16)

#9 2019-10-26 21:26

cpcnw
Website

A2: Turns out there is a control in SMFO - Tools > Option > Appearance > User Interface > Use System Fonts

Which makes the size more to my liking - but still doesn't let me change the font.

In one of the program directory I found gui.txt and it suggests moving it to the app directory and making changes there.

I was able to change to 'mono' but not Tahoma however the size setting does make a difference...

Actually fonts are changing but its hard to tell - maybe something to do with fonts there being bold. Been goofing about but cant seem to figure how to take the bold off. I am posting on the SM forum now so will come back when I have an answer....

[General]
// menu font
menuFont=Arial,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
// font for dialogs
font=Arial,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0

Last edited by cpcnw (2019-10-26 21:53)

#10 2019-10-26 22:57

Dai_trying

If you want to change the menu entry you can modify the file /opt/trinity/share/applications/planmaker-free18.desktop (and the other free-office .desktop files in that folder) but make sure you edit the last Name= line to ensure what you want displayed is shown, I am not sure why but there are two entries for it. This is of course depending on whether you have (or are intending to) installed the deb file directly.
I had a quick look at the installation script in the tar.gz file, and that creates the .desktop files during the installation process, so you should have them somewhere, that is if the script did not give any errors... I haven't tried it yet but if i get time after the rugby tomorrow I will see what it does.

#11 2019-10-28 21:09

cpcnw
Website

OK gui.txt does actually change the font but because of some hinting issue they look thicker / fuzz in my opinion. I learnt from the SM forum that there are some switches at program launch so for example '-gui:gnome' has some effect on the font because its dependent on gtk stuff. Which got me to thinking...

I altered my .Xresources file and took out all the remarks!

! xft settings !
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.autohint:  0
Xft.dpi:       96
Xft.hinting:   1
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.rgba:      rgb

Now menus and drop downs look a lot better however I noticed something odd... there is a difference between the rendering on Textmaker and Planmaker - I admit its small but defo discernible!

snapshot5.png

Last edited by cpcnw (2019-10-28 21:09)

#12 2019-10-29 09:08

cpcnw
Website

Also check > Tools > Options > Appearance > Smooth Edge of Screen Fonts

Board footer