icons nowhere to be found
even in "new applications"

installed by gdebi

peazip

problem
icon from "new applications" copied to desktop but programme does not respond

any solution?

task is very simple
just to install losslesscut 2.2 which arrives only in zip format but not in deb as earlier versions

plz help !

#2 2019-06-16 09:17

Dai_trying

Re: desktop icons do not appear

antares wrote:

installed by synaptic

unzip

unrar

7zip

alien

problem
can not start a programm
icons nowhere to be found
even in "new applications"

These are command-line programs and do not have a GUI, if you want to manage compressed files you should install ark-trinity package

sudo apt install ark-trinity
antares wrote:

installed by gdebi

peazip

problem
icon from "new applications" copied to desktop but programme does not respond

any solution?

task is very simple
just to install losslesscut 2.2 which arrives only in zip format but not in deb as earlier versions

plz help !

I have not used peazip as it is not in any repositories that I could see, see answer to first question for alternative.

losslesscut is also not in the repositories and so I cannot test that either but there are many alternatives available i.e. kdenlive, shotcut, pitivi, openshot, gopchop, flowblade, kino (in no particular order), I would recommend trying one of those as they are available from your normal repositories and are easy to install. (And will have better support).

#3 2019-06-16 11:56

bin

Yeah - lossless cut is something I have been hooked by on PCLOS - I keep stick with it on for the odd occasions I need it.

Unzip with ark or xarchiver is all you need - or even just command line unzip filename.zip.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Loss … ownloadold does give access to - well - older versions.

Assuming you have unzipped OK then "/home/user/Downloads/LosslessCut-linux-x64# ./LosslessCut" should do it. Obviously substitute location as required. You may need to create a custom launcher or .desktop file and pop it in ~/local/share/applications. Cannot be certain as there's a bit of trial and error with this type of application.

Is this good practise - no - very bad indeed.

Is there anything that works as easily as Lossless Cut for the quick trim job - no - it's just brilliant!

#4 2019-06-16 12:04

Dai_trying

bin wrote:

Is there anything that works as easily as Lossless Cut for the quick trim job - no - it's just brilliant!

FFMPEG smile

#5 2019-06-18 20:19

antares

Assuming you have unzipped.........

ark-trinity installed
but no unzipping of any sort possible
very stange.........

help please !

#6 2019-06-18 20:35

Dai_trying

Did you try clicking the toolbar button to extract? The icon might be different depending on your theme and version (I'm using Centaurus) but the location should be the same.

EDIT: image removed

Last edited by Dai_trying (2020-09-29 08:57)

#7 2019-06-19 01:45

antares

yes it extracted files to created folder
but losslesscut.exe is not responding although wine attempts to start but to no avail

what to do?
but I have lossless-cut-2.3.0.tar.gz

may be you help to install this one?
be so kind.........

#8 2019-06-19 06:05

bin

antares wrote:

yes it extracted files to created folder
but losslesscut.exe is not responding although wine attempts to start but to no avail

what to do?
but I have lossless-cut-2.3.0.tar.gz

may be you help to install this one?
be so kind.........

An exe file means you have downloaded the Windows version.

Go to https://www.videohelp.com/download/Loss … -2.3.0.zip which will download the Linux version

Extract the zip file.

Open Konsole / Terminal and

sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4

Then open the extracted folder LosslessCut-linux-x64, locate the icon LosslessCut and double click.

This works on Centaurus, as far as I can tell the libconf-2-4 package is also available for Debian Stretch so if you are using Scorpion the same process will apply.

If you have not already done so you may need to install the Multimedia codecs from the Software Installer to allow you to view videos.

#9 2019-06-19 15:36

antares

codecs installed
downloaded anew by provided link
opened and extracted by ark
go to downloads click on extracted and get this picture

.........which is not starting anything

while older version with only one piece to take from video
installed by gdebi sets up and runs easily

plz explain then how to install from tar file

hope someone can help.........

regards

Attachments:
png Screenshot from 2019-06-19 16-14-42.png, Size: 89.31 KiB, Downloads: 450

#10 2019-06-19 15:51

bin

No - all you are showing on the screen is the .zip file opened in ark.

This is  a zip file - all the bits and bobs compressed into one single archive to make it easy to download.

You have to expand it /  extract the contents before you can use it.

Open the file in ark and then click the extract button as shown by Dai. 

Its the blue/purple one underneath the word Settings in the menu bar of the picture you have provided.

You do not INSTALL from the zip file - all you do is extract the contents to a folder which is the original collection of files that make up the application.

Then you can run the program as I have described above but it will not work unless you have also installed the libgconf file as I have shown

#11 2019-06-19 18:45

antares

thnks.........solved

but is it difficult for you to explain in the same way
how to install losslesscut  from tar file

it would be big help for the future

thnks in advance

regards

#12 2019-06-20 06:40

bin

Good - glad to hear it.

A .tar file is an uncompressed archive of one or more files - but that is not efficient in terms of saving space.  Think of a box full of  cubes all jumbled up.
If you arrange all the cubes into a neat stack they'll fit into a smaller box - that is a compressed tar file  or a .tar.gz

To extract the contents of a .tar.gz file it is quicker to use a command line.

Assuming the file is in your Downloads folder, start Konsole / Terminal and enter

cd Downloads

The prompt will then say

~/Downloads$

Then enter

tar -xvzf losslsesscut.tar.gz

- here I have assumed a file name - you must use whatever the name of the file is that you have.

If you have already unzipped it and you just have a .tar file then

tar -xvf losslsesscut.tar

will do the trick

These are the codes that are used for extracting tar or tar.gz files

x - Extract files
v - verbose, print the file names as they are extracted one by one
z - The file is a "gzipped" file
f - Use the following tar archive for the operation

Now, from here on I have no idea what is in that tar file. It could just be the equivalent of what is in the zip file - which seems most likely. If that is the case then just run as before.

There is a big difference between running a downloaded binary package such as lossless cut and actually installing it.  A binary package contains all the bits ( or in this case nearly all the bits) needed to run without any extras from the operating system. It is self contained. An installed program will contain the bits it needs for itself and relies on the operating system to provide the rest - which is how a deb file will work. Sometimes binary packages are wrapped up in deb files which will just copy the binary folder to /opt and then provide a menu link to the executable.

Using binary packages from third party sources is generally not a good idea because they provide an unfiltered lump of code that can then do anything to either your /home or system.  It comes down to whether you want to take the risk. My guess is that that Lossless cut binaries are probably OK - there's no chat about them causing issues.

#13 2019-06-21 17:38

Dai_trying

@antares
I have created for you a Q4OS installer for this application, please try it and let me know it it fulfills your needs.

Sorry the file is too big to put in the forum, I will put it on my website and place a link here shortly.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2019-06-21 17:40)

Board footer