You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-24 01:50

sudoluna

How to make Boot Screen look closer to windows?

I'd like to make the boot screen look like XP's

#2 2019-04-26 19:58

Rademes

Re: How to make Boot Screen look closer to windows?

The boot screen? I am afraid, it is not possible.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#3 2019-04-27 07:23

bin

Re: How to make Boot Screen look closer to windows?

This can be done by using plymouth https://wiki.debian.org/plymouth and then locating an XP plymouth theme - which does exist.

However - there are a number of pitfalls depending on hardware.

Moreover - and I guess this is just me - why do it?  Converting ex-winXP users to Q4OS is indeed a praiseworthy activity, Converting any windows user to linux is equally laudable.

However, back in around 2003 I recall setting up a laptop with linux+kde. At the time there were loads of very good windows 2000 themes for kde. I used a screengrab of a windows 2k machine for wallpaper and in the end it looked exactly like W2K. Trouble is that you then start to expect it to behave like windows.....which it didn't and so the bubble bursts.

Anyway, while I was fiddling with a possible solution to this question as an academic exercise, I dug out my old Dell 1501 and installed XP Professional. Hmmm....OK it works - but out of the box there's such a long way to go with drivers etc etc etc just to get a working environment. The rose tinted spectacles have to go back in the box.

This is 2019 not 2001. Thousands - millions - of freely given man hours have gone in to the development of the linux kernel and debian. The Q4OS developers have created a fine distro and their attention to detail is exemplary.

I'm proud of the fact that my home is linux only, so I'm not  going to try to kid the world I'm booting Windows XP - and besides that, the verbose boot process always gives one a quick overview of what's going on - or possibly wrong.

Perversely I am quite happy to use the xpq4 project because it does help on 1366x768 laptop displays. Using tahoma with the relevant AA and hinting settings can allow you to increase your screen real estate a bit and still keep things legible.

Board footer