You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-12 21:47

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Centaurus 3.6 review on LinuxInsider

A fresh Q4OS 3.6 Centaurus review on Linux Insider, see https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/85951.html

#2 2019-04-13 00:45

kendew

Re: Centaurus 3.6 review on LinuxInsider

An interesting and flattering review.  I'm very new to Q4OS so maybe someone can explain something to me.  I thought Centaurus would never be the Stable version as it is based on Debian testing so I wonder if someone could kindly explain what the author meant here:

The distro's latest Centaurus release will be reissued as a stable version in a few weeks.

Wonder what I am not understanding.
Thanks,

Kendew

#3 2019-04-13 11:35

jessexschilling
Website

I am also new to Q4OS, but have used several other Debian based systems over the last several years, so I may be able to help explain. Centaurus is based on Debian Buster. Buster is currently "testing" but will become "stable." Some time after that "freeze' takes place, Centaurus will also "freeze" and become the new stable release of Q4OS.

It might make more sense if you think of it in terms of the sources lists. You can use the codename of the current stable release (Stretch), or you could use "stable" to denote the current release. If using "Stretch", once the new version is released, your system will remain under "Stretch's repositories, until you eventually would have to switch to the Archive repos. If you used "Stable", your system would upgrade to Buster once it becomes the new "Stable," and it would just keep moving along with the each next Stable release.

If you were running a development system, set to "Testing" repos, your system would always keep shifting with the next "Testing" release, whose codename changes after each Stable release. If you set your repos to "Buster" now, you would be running a "Testing" system, until Buster becomes the new Stable, at which point your system would freeze and just receive Security updates like any other Stable Debian install.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

(It is entirely possible that I have messed something up in my explanation, if I have, someone let me know.)

Last edited by jessexschilling (2019-04-13 11:36)

Jesse Schilling | rainydayshirts

#4 2019-04-13 13:34

jotapesse

Q4OS is based and follows Debian releases. Q4OS 3.x "Centaurus" is based of Debian 10 "Buster" that is currently in development or a "testing" release. Whenever Debian 10 "Buster" finishes development and reaches stable status it will be released as "stable" and so also Q4OS 3.x "Centaurus" becomes a stable release. This is expected to happen in the next few weeks.

The current stable Debian 9 "Stretch" will then become "oldstable". Debian "testing" will continue development non-stop with the following release Debian 11 "Bullseye". Always feeding the development of "testing" are the "unstable/Sid" and "experimental" repositories where debian packages and sources are added/created and bug resolved/developed.

So it is expected that Q4OS will then develop a Q4OS 4.x "ConstellationName?" following the next "testing" Debian 11 "Bullseye", that someday will also become stable. And so on...

Last edited by jotapesse (2019-04-13 13:42)

jotapesse - Obrigado / Thank you.

#5 2019-04-13 13:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks for the exact explanations above ..

#6 2019-04-15 03:22

kendew

Thanks. I've also used Debian but never had to reflect too much on the difference in enabling, say, Stretch in a repository vs stable.  The explanations offered here have made the distinction clear.
Now that I look at my Centaurus installs repository lists I see mainly "buster" listed vs "testing".  In fact, I'm interested in a stable version rather than testing, but I'd prefer "new" stable to "old" stable.  So, if I'm understanding what I am reading, I should just keep the Centaurus install I have and keep updating it regularly.  At some point soon, what I have will be the new stable.  Am I reading this right?

My question would be, is there anything I should change in the repository structure? Or will needed changes automatically be made with updates?   For example, keeping "buster main contrib non-free" seems to follow from what's been said here, but what about the other repositories like "q4os-3.0-dn", "buster/updates", "buster-updates",  and "stretch-chrome-cn"?  If any of these do need to be changed, what is the recommended way, as the files themselves say "!!! NEVER touch this CRITICAL system file **** !!!"?

Thanks

#7 2019-04-15 10:14

jotapesse

^ Yes you understood it correctly. You shouldn't change anything. Just keep it standard as is, Q4OS 3.x "Centaurus" (and it's "q4os-3.0-cn" repository) is following "buster" so whenever it becomes stable so will Q4OS. That's expected to happen in a few weeks time, so almost there. Just keep updating it as normal to catch up with all the updates. Everything is setup correctly for that purpose.

jotapesse - Obrigado / Thank you.

#8 2019-04-15 22:11

kendew

Thanks for the useful information.  Looking at the discussion here it seems I may have unintentionally hijacked this thread.  It was supposed to focus on a magazine article.  Very sorry about that!  But grateful for the info.  I guess it shows the writer of the review does have some insight into Q4OS though.

#9 2019-04-16 13:23

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@kendew
All right, you are welcome to post here.

Board footer