You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-01 07:44

bin

Screen tearing in Firefox browser - Nvidia driver.

I am using a couple of laptops with different generation Nvidia chips - though old by current standards.

The Acer Aspire has a GEFORCE 9600M GT chip and uses the 340 legacy Nvidia driver.

One thing which I find annoying is the odd thin band  of squished text/graphics that can appear in Firefox when scrolling.

There are various solutions bandied about referencing Hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling - none of which provide a solution.

Trinity's built in Composting gets sort of close but only if you disable Hardware acceleration which is not ideal.

On my i915 based machine this is handled by using a 20-xxxxx.conf file with a tear-free line. That comes at a price as it slows down terminal - known issue.

For nvidia there is a slightly longer solution which does work.

Go here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … en_tearing

I found that nvidia-xconfig was not installed during the nvidia install, so that was added afterwards.

The line

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

lets you test it and I found it worked OK.

The info about the 20-nvidia.conf file creation is almost correct - may depend on your card. I created the file locally, edited it to include the above line and deleted all the cruft apart from the Device and Screen sections. Dropped that into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d  and rebooted - all is now well.

I've attached mine just for reference

Attachments:
conf 20-nvidia.conf, Size: 631 B, Downloads: 799

Board footer