You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-10 15:57

Rademes

Debonaire Theme. Some issues.

I have done a brief test of Debonaire theme, and found some issues.
1. After I switch to Trinity Classic Menu Style, I can not find Control Panel launcher.
SAM_0332.jpg
2. TDE Powersave does not have appropriate icons, it uses default Trinity icons, which does not fit in modern Debonaire look.
icon.png
SAM_0337.jpg
3. The most important from this list. Some icons in application task panels are blurry. Especially it is seen in VLC player. It spoils the appearance of the theme. Personally I hate blurry fonts, blurry icons, menus... I like that all icons, fonts, lines are clearly drawn.
blur_icons.png
blur_icons.png
4.Synaptic package manager has ugly icon...like brown folder (my opinion).

Anyway, Q4OS Team, you have done great job! Debonaire will attract users, who like modern look of their desktops.

Last edited by Rademes (2018-07-10 16:00)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#2 2018-07-10 18:10

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Debonaire Theme. Some issues.

Thanks for reporting, we will take a look on all issues mentioned and report back as soon as possible.

#3 2018-07-17 17:05

Rademes

I found some more issues in Debonaire theme.
1. When I try to make bottom panel smaller than 42 pixels, launched application icons become very small, and there are no application names next to icons (as usual).
no_names.png
2. There is no icon in Cryptography settings menu.
crypt.png
3. When I launch Konqueror as root, it uses default theme, not Debonaire theme.
root_konqueror.png

Last edited by Rademes (2018-07-17 17:09)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#4 2018-08-11 14:56

Rademes

Hello? A month passed! Any response according to these issues? @q4osteam

#5 2018-08-11 19:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

No significant progress so far, unfortunately, as we are busy with another, more important, tasks. As we are a small team with limited resources, we have to take priorities at the moment.

EDIT: Anyway, thanks for reporting, it's very helpful for us.

Last edited by q4osteam (2018-08-11 19:25)

#6 2018-09-06 22:48

ru5ty_buck3t

Hi Q4OS team. I installed latest Scorpian Q4OS on a old dell Optiplex 520 and it's working great with Debonaire theme. The one issue I have is that the user is elderly and I need to change the system fonts sizes.

As Rademes said above in the first post issue no. 1, there's no access to "control panel" can I change the system font sizes any other way by using using terminal / CLI.

Thank You

#7 2018-09-06 22:52

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

ru5ty_buck3t wrote:

... there's no access to "control panel" can I change the system font sizes any other way by using using terminal / CLI.

Yes, it's known bug to solve. You can run control panel from terminal:
$ kcontrol
or:
$ kcontrol.tde2

#8 2019-03-28 11:21

Rademes

UP!
These issues still has not been fixed:

1. After I switch to Trinity Classic Menu Style, I can not find Control Panel launcher.
2. When I try to make bottom panel smaller than 42 pixels, launched application icons become very small, and there are no application names next to icons (as usual).
3. There is no icon in Cryptography settings menu.
4. When I launch Konqueror as root, it uses default theme, not Debonaire theme.

#9 2019-03-29 00:40

jessexschilling
Website

Possible solution for 1 and 4.

I believe Konqueror is defaulting to the default theme as that is the theme set for the Root account. Log in as root, change the theme as you would for your user account, log out, log back in to the user account. Root Konqueror ought to use the theme you just selected, now.

For the missing Trinity Control Center. Right-Click on your Taskbar (Panel), select Configure Panel, select Menus on the left hand side of the window, look in the center of this window. There is a section titled Optional Menus. You may have to scroll down in this section. Check the box next to Trinity Control Center. You should now have an entry in your Start Menu for the Trinity Control Center.

Jesse Schilling | rainydayshirts

#10 2019-03-29 01:04

Jaerrib
Website

Rademes wrote:

UP!
These issues still has not been fixed:

2. When I try to make bottom panel smaller than 42 pixels, launched application icons become very small, and there are no application names next to icons (as usual).
3. There is no icon in Cryptography settings menu.

With regard to #3, I submitted an initial draft of that icon this evening over on the Developers forum Debonaire icons thread. It had been on my radar, but your post prompted me to work on it.

#11 2019-03-29 22:17

Jaerrib
Website

Rademes wrote:

3. The most important from this list. Some icons in application task panels are blurry. Especially it is seen in VLC player. It spoils the appearance of the theme. Personally I hate blurry fonts, blurry icons, menus... I like that all icons, fonts, lines are clearly drawn.
4.Synaptic package manager has ugly icon...like brown folder (my opinion).

Does anyone know if the blurry icons that Rademes reported above stem from them being png files as opposed to svg? If so, it would be an undertaking, but I could try going through to update all of them to svg files.

Regarding the Synaptic icon, I submitted a couple drafts for a possible replacement here.

#12 2019-03-30 14:28

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jaerrib wrote:

Does anyone know if the blurry icons that Rademes reported above stem from them being png files as opposed to svg?

Not sure, but most likely yes. You could try to make and apply a single sample and compare the result.

#13 2019-03-30 23:53

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:
Jaerrib wrote:

Does anyone know if the blurry icons that Rademes reported above stem from them being png files as opposed to svg?

Not sure, but most likely yes. You could try to make and apply a single sample and compare the result.

Is there a way to see what icons an application uses?

#14 2019-03-31 09:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jaerrib wrote:

Is there a way to see what icons an application uses?

Besides examining the source code, the only way is to search the icon by its look. You can find out the icon name using the icon selection dialog - right click on any file icon in Konqureror > Properties > the properties dialog opens > click to the icon button on the top left > scroll in the panel icon view to find the icon and its name. Subsequently you can find the matching *.png or *.svg image in the /usr/share/icons/Paper-Q4OS/ directory.

#15 2019-03-31 13:41

Rademes

Thank You, Jaerrib for supporting Debonaire theme!

#16 2019-04-02 08:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Something has been fixed, an updated list of unresolved issues follows:

Rademes wrote:

2. Some icons in application task panels are blurry. Especially it is seen in VLC player. It spoils the appearance of the theme. Personally I hate blurry fonts, blurry icons, menus... I like that all icons, fonts, lines are clearly drawn.

3. When I try to make bottom panel smaller than 42 pixels, launched application icons become very small, and there are no application names next to icons (as usual).

5.Synaptic package manager has ugly icon...like brown folder (my opinion).

6. There is no icon in Cryptography settings menu.

Ad1. Confirmed, to be solved.
Ad2. Confirmed, to be solved, thanks Jaerrib for supporting.
Ad3. Confirmed, to be solved. Quite exacting task, TDE source code deep changes required.
Ad4. Confirmed, to be solved.
Ad5. Confirmed, to be solved, thanks Jaerrib for supporting.
Ad6. Confirmed, to be solved, thanks Jaerrib for supporting.

#17 2019-04-02 17:52

Rademes

Glad to hear, that work in progress!

#18 2019-04-03 00:05

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

Something has been fixed, an updated list of unresolved issues follows:

Rademes wrote:

2. Some icons in application task panels are blurry. Especially it is seen in VLC player. It spoils the appearance of the theme. Personally I hate blurry fonts, blurry icons, menus... I like that all icons, fonts, lines are clearly drawn.
5.Synaptic package manager has ugly icon...like brown folder (my opinion).

Ad2. Confirmed, to be solved, thanks Jaerrib for supporting.
Ad5. Confirmed, to be solved, thanks Jaerrib for supporting.

2. As far as I can tell, VLC uses its own icons rather than inheriting them from the icon theme used by the desktop. I confirmed, for example, that there is no icon in the Debonaire (Paper-Q4OS) theme that looks like the "repeat a single track" icon seen in VLC. Furthermore, I found the svg source file for all the icons on the VLC Github page. That said, someone could try creating a custom skin for VLC that might integrate with the desktop theme better.

5. We got some feedback on the various drafts, but I'm not sure anything was confirmed by the team as to which icon to move forward with. I can create the size variants once a consensus has been reached.

#19 2019-04-03 09:36

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jaerrib wrote:

5. We got some feedback on the various drafts, but I'm not sure anything was confirmed by the team as to which icon to move forward with. I can create the size variants once a consensus has been reached.

Well, we confirm drafts in the corresponding topic https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 010#p15010

#20 2019-06-02 12:12

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We consider points 5,6 as fixed for Q4OS Centaurus, thanks Jaerrib. Feel free to post any additional suggestions.

An updated list of unresolved issues follows:

1. Some icons in application task panels are blurry. Especially it is seen in VLC player. It spoils the appearance of the theme. Personally I hate blurry fonts, blurry icons, menus... I like that all icons, fonts, lines are clearly drawn.

3. When I launch Konqueror as root, it uses default theme, not Debonaire theme.

#21 2019-06-02 12:16

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We have started a new bug report, please post any suggestions and findings here https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/93/

Board footer