You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-09 13:12

bootloop2dope

This is the OS I've been looking for...!

I've used every known Ubuntu... and quite a few Debian distros.

I'm old enough (lol) to remember Lindows/Linspire and Xandros. Those used KDE 3.5... of course it's now TDE... but I'm astonished that Q4OS delivers what Linspire and Xandros couldn't.

But, I'm a hacker (in the soldering gun in a pistol holster kind of way), and I have this urge sometimes to tinker with my computer...

and I've got a few friends who are fence sitters reluctant to switch.

If the Q4OS devs don't mind... I'm respinning Q4OS to have some software packages (real Firefox and Thunderbird, a video editor, Kdenlive, and LibreOffice, and a few games) and a graphical installer with a live environment. This will, I hope, give back to an OS I am now dedicated to.

I used to be a dedicated LXLE supporter.

But I want to give kudos to the Q4OS devs.

If it's okay with the forum mods, maybe in my next post I will post my Sourceforge project URL to this.

Thanks for a full-fledged Trinity DE distro.

MMFWCL,
BootLoop2Dope

#2 2015-12-09 14:58

DavidB
Website

Re: This is the OS I've been looking for...!

It's great to hear that others like Q4OS so much.  I agree, it's a great OS and I'm enjoying it very much, as well!

Here's a idea: You can easily install Firefox and Thunderbird in one mouse click, via that O4OS Software Centre.  So, rather than re-spinning Q4OS, maybe you could build a few more installers, for the Software Centre, of your favorite apps.  This way, those of us who already have Q4OS installed can also benefit from your hard work.  And new users will be able to easily add those apps to their systems as they like.

In any case, welcome aboard!  I'm sure the Q4OS community will benefit from your expertise.

Last edited by DavidB (2015-12-09 15:00)

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#3 2015-12-10 09:42

bootloop2dope

DavidB wrote:

It's great to hear that others like Q4OS so much.  I agree, it's a great OS and I'm enjoying it very much, as well!

Here's a idea: You can easily install Firefox and Thunderbird in one mouse click, via that O4OS Software Centre.  So, rather than re-spinning Q4OS, maybe you could build a few more installers, for the Software Centre, of your favorite apps.  This way, those of us who already have Q4OS installed can also benefit from your hard work.  And new users will be able to easily add those apps to their systems as they like.

In any case, welcome aboard!  I'm sure the Q4OS community will benefit from your expertise.

Thanks!

I might consider the idea of writing installers then. But also the idea of a graphical installer (with Debian Live--which, IMHO, is the most difficult task to tackle! I'm so used to launching Remastersys or its kin and an hour later a fresh ISO pops out ready to burn, bitbang with dd or upload) was a suggestion...

BTW, where could be the code for the installers be located? I might try my hand at it soon... wink

crosscourt wrote:

I second DavidB comments as many apps are available thru the software center and many more thru Synaptic.
Tried to like LXLE but there was something missing and in general Im not a fan of LXDE any more. XFCE is just as light and offers so many more features, but TDE gives you the best of both worlds.
There will probably moderators down the road as the forum grows but right now its being policed by the Q4OS team but as always if anybody spots anything just contact them.

Yeah... one of the first things I've always installed was Synaptic after rebooting into a new Debian or Ubuntu. I've always had a dislike for Ubuntu Software Center. Stop trying to be like Apple, Canonical! That's why Linspire and Xandros had never caught on, IMO, is because of their "software stores" which, by looking at old Linux books I bought from friends of the local public library sales, looked like botched hacks of Synaptic...

But the Q4OS software center, I actually like. Simple and straightforward. Basically only a click away to software. Ubuntu Software Center, it's convoluted. Gotta know what section the application is in. Then gotta go through all the selections available. Then click on that. Read the details, which is really the same info you can get by running the apt-cache command or the bottom right pane in Synaptic. Then click on Install. Authenticate. Wait. Maybe authenticate again while it's installing. And about half of the reviews submitted (which this number is derived from personal experience) are in either Spanish or Portuguese... which I do know a touch of Portuguese (I dated a chick from Brazil once... but I digress), but isn't helpful enough to know if I want the software or not...

LXLE, while good in concept, does lack in quite a few aspects. But looking at it, it's just stock Canonical Lubuntu with a lot of WebUpd8 and other Launchpad PPA's added and rebranded. So, you both are correct. Why should I spin Q4OS? It was just a suggestion that sounded great in my head at the time... I'd love to write some installers for the community. I am very good at bash scripting. In fact, I like to joke around saying that "I was speaking BASIC before I learned English," in which there's a modicum of truth to that... I learned computers at a very early age. I learned on a Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer at age 4. In fact, my signature on another forum says "CoCoist since 1981", when I was 4. I'm 38 now. The CoCo was released in 1980 or 81... A friend of mine gave me a FD-502 Drive 0 kit with Microware OS-9 and learned some basics of Unix with that...

And that's why I love TDE. I was upset when KDE tried to go Mac-like with KDE SC 4... and when I was looking for a DE similar to KDE 3.5 and found Trinity... It was like meeting an old friend...

And thanks for the welcomes!

Last edited by bootloop2dope (2015-12-10 10:28)

#4 2015-12-10 21:36

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You are welcome to create Q4OS applications installers, it's not too difficult job. Installers could be integrated in Software Centre or to be used standalone, just downloaded and ran by doubleclick.

We recommend you to install and use our 'Development Pack' http://www.q4os.org/developer.html , you can find simple example how to start to create app installers in documentation http://www.q4os.org/dqa009.html

#5 2015-12-10 21:47

bootloop2dope

q4osteam wrote:

You are welcome to create Q4OS applications installers, it's not too difficult job. Installers could be integrated in Software Centre or to be used standalone, just downloaded and ran by doubleclick.

We recommend you to install and use our 'Development Pack' http://www.q4os.org/developer.html , you can find simple example how to start to create app installers in documentation http://www.q4os.org/dqa009.html

Thanks. That's the information I was needing. I might do that tonight... would give me something to do... wink

Board footer