You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-06 13:04

Lnx5i

Security setup and Windows installer experience

Hi everyone. I just installed q4os with the standalone Windows installer. Everything went smoothly. The system clock was wrong when I booted back into Windows, although I think it's fixed now. Also whenever I boot back into q4os it changes the keyboard layout, I live in a Nordic country, I can't type with US layout! How can I stop it from touching my keyboard? One final thing, I noticed it removed hibernation from Windows, I had to re-enable it with the powercfg command. Oh, and why isn't there a control panel in the classic menu layout? I was confused when I was looking for the update manager, haha. I found it in the kickoff menu.

I want to know what kind of security setup do you guys use? Do you use apparmor? Do you use a standard user with no admin? (reduced permissions) Firejail?

How can I restore the password prompt back into the synaptic package manager and apt in the terminal? I read an article about q4os that had the instructions but I can't find it anymore.

#2 2018-09-06 14:27

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Security setup and Windows installer experience

Thanks for reporting smile

Lnx5i wrote:

The system clock was wrong when I booted back into Windows ...

Windows setup shouldn't modify the system clock, so it looks like a bug. Is the clock correct in Q4OS when rebooted from Windows ?

Lnx5i wrote:

Also whenever I boot back into q4os it changes the keyboard layout ... How can I stop it from touching my keyboard?

You can setup keyboard layout in the system settings, but the way differs by DE used. What desktop do you use, TDE or Plasma or another one ?

Lnx5i wrote:

why isn't there a control panel in the classic menu layout?

Yes, it's known Q4OS bug, it's already on our todo list. Anyway, you can run control panel from terminal:
$ kcontrol

Lnx5i wrote:

I want to know what kind of security setup do you guys use?

The basic installation doesn't use an advanced security tools, just the standard Linux/Debian setup. Anyway, you can install any from repositories.

Last edited by q4osteam (2018-09-06 14:32)

#3 2018-09-06 18:42

Lnx5i

If I remember correctly it was set one hour off, as if it didn't account for DST. I had to resync the time in Windows.

I'm using the Trinity desktop.

I'll check tomorrow again, I will edit this post when I have new information.

EDIT: The system clock is fine, as is the keyboard now I think. In the Trinity tray area I accessed the keyboard configuration settings and I moved the layout I wanted to the top instead of US at the top.

Also, is the q4os installer based on Wubi? I read the wikipedia article on ubuntu Wubi and it does indeed look similar. does it have the same limitations as the old one or how much is it improved?

Last edited by Lnx5i (2018-09-07 11:54)

#4 2018-09-08 10:32

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Lnx5i wrote:

Also, is the q4os installer based on Wubi?

It is based on the WubiUefi project https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi

Board footer