You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-29 19:13

nightuser1

Can't get a good Desktop Weather Widget

Screenlets won't show weather, Gdesklets also no weather, conky won't show weather, My Weather Indicator witch is my favorite won't install due to dependency issues, Meteo is not in the repository and although Kweather leaves much to be desired it's the only one working, so I use it..... sad

Any advice........

#2 2017-07-30 17:48

crosscourt
Website

Re: Can't get a good Desktop Weather Widget

So far KWeather seems to be the most stable that works reliably.

Heres a list of applications for TDE that might show some alternative, https://www.trinitydesktop.org/applications.php

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-30 17:49)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2017-08-21 23:42

nightuser1

Crosscourt
Thanx but nothing in that list that Sinaptic didn't offer...
Thanx tho,,,,still hoping for something

#4 2018-02-08 19:59

BSpinoza

... yes an older topic, but...

No wheather desktop widget, but nice ASCII wheather overview and forecast in the console window:

Write in your console*:

curl wttr.in/Berlin

Instead of "Berlin" please write your location. For citynames which consists of more than one word you can write:

curl wttr.in/"Frankfurt am Main"

and all in UTF-8.

More information you will find here:

https://github.com/chubin/wttr.in

*: Usually curl is installed on Debian. Otherwise you have to install it with:

sudo apt-get install curl

Last edited by BSpinoza (2018-02-08 20:00)

#5 2018-02-08 20:38

Dai_trying

That's pretty cool, and I compared the forecast to the BBC weather and it appears similar.
I like it that I can just type in a command to get it from a terminal, I'll make an alias to "myweather" with my locations set and all I will have to do is type myweather and it appears. There is a command "weather" available in the repo's so I didn't use that.

alias myweather="curl wttr.in/"

will set the alias for your current terminal session and you could put this in your .bashrc (with the other alias's) to have it always available. Don't forget to use your location with the command if you do this, otherwise it could be somewhere close(ish) but not always relevant to you, The bare command uses your IP location and mine currently gives MIlton Keynes which is not that far away, but far enough to get slightly different readings.

#6 2018-02-10 17:49

crosscourt
Website

That is pretty cool but most users want something simple to install that just works with GUI.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#7 2018-02-10 21:43

Dai_trying

This could easily be put into a desktop link that will start it in a terminal and you have a one-click solution. Not quite GUI but no need for tapping keys...

#8 2018-02-10 22:47

crosscourt
Website

The thing is it needs to be simple and GUI as other Debian based distros(not Ubuntu) are already doing it and gaining a lot of users.

#9 2018-02-13 05:54

BSpinoza

crosscourt wrote:

That is pretty cool but most users want something simple to install that just works with GUI.

But this "most users" should also learn to use the bash, a mighty and in this case a very simple secret weapon in Linux ;-)

#10 2018-02-13 09:46

Dai_trying

BSpinoza wrote:
crosscourt wrote:

But this "most users" should also learn to use the bash, a mighty and in this case a very simple secret weapon in Linux ;-)

I agree, learning a little bash can improve efficiency a great deal, it is unfortunate that many users are too worried to even open the terminal, but with that said being so powerful comes with it's pitfalls especially if they start using random commands found with Google (other search engines are available big_smile )

#11 2018-02-13 21:10

crosscourt
Website

Disagree entirely as most users youre hoping to gain as Q4OS users are more than likely Windows users and that wont fly with them, at least initially. Win them over first then we can educate them further but if you make things too tough they wont even bother.

#12 2018-02-13 21:44

Dai_trying

Dai_trying wrote:
BSpinoza wrote:
crosscourt wrote:

I agree, learning a little bash can improve efficiency a great deal, it is unfortunate that many users are too worried to even open the terminal, but with that said being so powerful comes with it's pitfalls especially if they start using random commands found with Google (other search engines are available big_smile )

crosscourt wrote:

Disagree entirely as most users youre hoping to gain as Q4OS users are more than likely Windows users and that wont fly with them, at least initially. Win them over first then we can educate them further but if you make things too tough they wont even bother.

Have I read this wrong? Are you saying new users should not learn some bash? and remember we are all users here not devs, so the perspectives are not to gain masses of other users but to either help or get help (usually)

#13 2018-02-13 23:17

crosscourt
Website

Am I missing something?  This is a support suite but how you come across will influence how others perceive Q4OS and most of those are reading the site without you knowing about it and judging by comments they read. New users will have enough to deal with just getting use to how Q4OS and Linux works
As they take their first steps and get use to things you can push them in the direction of learning more aspects of Linux that can help them.

Most users means people outside of the Debian/Linux sphere as those already using it will benefit from what youre discussing but i was referring to something different.

Everyone eventually will need to open the terminal but if they dont see the need or care to,Linux loses many potential users.
Thats why we see so many distros now simplifying many aspects of Linux for new users.

Hope I explained myself but I come from the Windows side and see things in a very different way.

#14 2018-02-14 00:00

Dai_trying

Tbh I don't think it would take that much to create a small gui to use this, and it could also be used in a small taskbar simply showing the current weather, this would be done using the information and not the displayed output though, but I guess anything is possible when somebody wants to make it happen smile

#15 2018-10-10 14:43

BonusBrain

Thread's a bit ancient now but just install Cairo Dock. You'll need to set composting to stop it freezing but if it hangs your desktop just right-click above it and enter "killall cairo-dock" into the command field and then adjust your settings again.

In the screenshot I've shortened the panel to make room for the dock and the weather app runs fine. You can also detach this from the dock and have as few or more dock icons as you want. Doesn't need to be just like I've configured mine.

https://i.imgur.com/4jN7flx.jpg

Last edited by BonusBrain (2018-10-10 14:44)

#16 2018-10-10 14:53

pippin

@BonusBrain,

Oooh, that is a nice wallpaper !

Any chance of a link ?

Phil

#17 2018-10-11 14:12

BonusBrain

pippin wrote:

@BonusBrain,

Oooh, that is a nice wallpaper !

Any chance of a link ?

Phil

It's actually one of the current Makulu LinDoz backgrounds. Not sure if these are available separately somewhere but you can download the ISO and copy the images from that.

https://www.makululinux.com/wp/lindoz/

#18 2018-10-11 22:16

pippin

@BonusBrain,

Many thanks - I'll try that.
I have used Makulu linux before - it does have some really beautiful wallpapers.

Regards,

Phil

#19 2020-01-27 17:11

VikingBel

I tried some which are not working (anymore), like gis-weather or my-weather-indicator.
Either I am using the weather add-on in Google Chromium, or a desklet called meteo-qt which is in the normal repository. Except I had to switch to the 1.5.1 "unstable" version , as the stable version has now a flaw due to the data sequence from the weather provider .

#20 2020-04-12 13:36

Derro

Thank you for sharing lots of links, I will install one of these for sure

Board footer