You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-31 13:08

Dai_trying

Make welcome screen accessible via menu

I have noticed that the welcome screen is not in any of the menus, which means it would be difficult for new users to get it back if they have removed the check mark to show on startup, could this entry be put either into menu -> Settings or maybe menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System
That way it would be easier for new users to recall it. I know it can be called by right clicking on the desktop and typing the welcome-screen.exu, but thought new users might find this a little "alien" to them.

#2 2016-04-02 03:51

JimW

Re: Make welcome screen accessible via menu

CC
I just checked and can only find it under Settings/Start Menu/Startup
Difficult for many people to find it there.

#3 2016-04-02 10:50

Dai_trying

I agree it is not difficult to get it that way, I just thought for the sake of a simple .desktop file it could be found easier...

And It is only in the startup directory is you haven't checked the do not show box, otherwise it gets removed.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2016-04-02 10:53)

#4 2016-04-02 19:23

Dai_trying

I do agree on windows users not being as daft as we sometimes make out, but I spent a few minutes trying to find the welcome screen and like you I thought it had an entry somewhere already, but couldn't find it when I wanted to check something.

#5 2016-04-02 19:36

Dai_trying

I'm guilty of being a big terminal fan as I find anything that can be done by ( click a menu find a submenu, find gui, mark checkboxes select from select boxes, click ok) can be done in a few keystrokes from a term. But I have been using the terminal now for quite a while and it has certainly took this much time to learn what I have. I can't imagine most people (Windows or Linux users) would have the interest in learning all that just to use their computer.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2016-04-02 19:36)

#6 2016-04-05 11:27

Dai_trying

I rarely use the computer without a terminal open (I use terminator so usually three terminals open in one) which I use for monitoring things that I'm doing for instance when I'm writing my website I have a terminal watching the apache error.log looking for problems with my code. A simple "tail -f whatever.file" will give me live feedback as I work, which is so much easier than opening the file (as root) in an editor and refreshing each time I want to look  at it. I'm not saying everyone should use a terminal all the time, but there are a lot of things that can be achieved with very few keystrokes that gui-wise would take longer/use more resources etc. But like everything Linux we have the choice, which is the main thing.
And I don't really have a "target audience" I just put the site up to help new users, I will probably put pages up on bash scripting and the like when I have more time, like I say it's more (to me) about having the choice. smile

Board footer