You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-27 10:11

leoz

Background of KSplash and desktop wallpape

I wish that when you change the wallpaper of your desktop the background of Ksplash and login background wallpaper change as well.

#2 2016-03-27 10:43

Dai_trying

Re: Background of KSplash and desktop wallpape

The thing with this is when using a system as multi-user, which user should set the login background? this post might give you some configuration details for setting login screen http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=627

#3 2016-03-27 20:40

bobby
Website

Someone correct me if I am wrong; please.  This question is about changing 3 images to customize login screen background; kspash of menu and desktop wallpaper ; correct ?

Why not just write a bash script that replaces these 3 images like this.

User places there custom desktop wallpaper, ksplash and login background in to a specific folder like: ~/Documents/custom_user

Then execute script; script runs as root and replaces all images.

User logsout and back in and all is, well, custom smile

Last edited by bobby (2016-03-27 20:41)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2016-03-27 21:00

Dai_trying

You are right bobby, this could be done with a simple script. The point I was making though is there could be multiple users and which one would control the login screen? or would all users keep fighting over whose wallpaper is on the login screen? Obviously on a single user system this would not be an issue, but I wouldn't think the dev team would implement such a feature unless the systems are going to be aimed at single users. I could be wrong though. smile

#5 2016-03-27 21:46

bobby
Website

@Dai,  I agree with you on multiple logins.  This would be more complicated but, could be automated too:

this is what TDE wiki says about user profiles at startup: https://www.trinitydesktop.org/faq/conf … 7997760704

"The login managersxdm and TDM do not run a login shell, so .profile, .bash_profile, etc. are not sourced. 
When the user logs in, xdm runs Xstartup as root and then Xsession as user. 
The normal practice is to add statements in Xsession to source the user profile. 
Please edit your Xsession and .xsession files."

A question at boot up for user:  "Use default images ? (continue)  or swap them out for your custom images now and logout/login ?"

(I know I am stepping in to the unknown here of how to make this happen but, there are many folks here who are smarter than I). 

This is standard with Windows and (imo) should be in Q4OS but, that's me smile

Bobby

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#6 2016-03-27 22:03

Dai_trying

Are you saying every time the user logs in they will be greeted with a question about background images?
It has been documented in the forums already how to change these images, if the user wants to change more than one image in the same time then a script could be a solution, but I don't think it should be offered each time user logs in.
And it cannot be offered before login as you need a user account before anything can be done, otherwise a login screen at all would be pointless.

And I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to as being standard with windows? hmm

#7 2016-03-27 22:16

bobby
Website

Standard in Windows = User settings are saved independently for each user when they have multiple accounts setup.

Each user could decide if they want to have the question to swap out images each time or they can manually run script from an icon.  Right now, they don't have an option unless they go to terminal as "ROOT" to overwrite the Kside "splash" image.

Just a suggestion for taking 3 steps to an automated solution for users to pick what is best for them.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#8 2016-03-27 22:17

Dai_trying

@ loez
Sorry forgot to welcome you to the forum, but welcome smile

I think the easiest way to do this would be to create a soft-link for both login wallpaper and background wallpaper and simply copy your preferred image to overwrite the destination in the link. although I'm not sure how it would play when changing by the normal right click method...

#9 2016-03-27 22:20

Dai_trying

@ bobby
User settings are saved independently in linux already... that is really the point I was making originally about who would set the login screen, which even in gates world is the same for each user.

#10 2016-03-27 22:44

bobby
Website

yes, I understand your statement concerning the login screen  (and who would get to make that decision? - its the last person who logged in to windows unless locked out by Admin ). I was only trying to expand on your post to fully answer the original question and that it could easily be automated.  Just a suggestion.

Its not about windows (really), its about a question that has been asked before and will continue to be asked, over and over.

I'm all for proper safe automation scripts but, less supportive of having new users run root access commands from the terminal.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#11 2016-03-27 23:03

Dai_trying

As this is a "Feature Requst" section of the forum, I would understand the user would like this as a "default" setting, which is why I have taken my viewpoint on it.

I think your statements...

bobby wrote:

Then execute script; script runs as root and replaces all images.

and then

bobby wrote:

I'm all for proper safe automation scripts but, less supportive of having new users run root access commands from the terminal.

are a little contradictory, they would both do the same thing as the same user. If a user wishes to change anything a root command will be required whether it is in a script or typed on the command line.
And don't forget this can already be achieved by unlocking the tde login manager module...

#12 2016-03-28 05:37

bobby
Website

Let me see what I can make as an example over the next week for multiple users sharing control of these images at the click of a icon.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#13 2016-03-28 10:12

leoz

Its simple, when is one user,
when is multi-user
admin(root) decide which wallpaper go

#14 2016-03-28 11:15

Dai_trying

Maybe a good feature request would be to have kcmodules unlocked upon installation, that way the user would be free to modify more aspects of the distribution without needing to visit the command line to gain the extra modules.

Board footer